breakfast stout help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wester101

Reaction score
Hi i ordered a breakfast stout kit from northerbrewer.com (all grain). I don't know when to add the 1lbs of lactose. The kit doesn't really come with directions like they do from midwestsupply and this is only my 2nd all grain. Also it has a mash schedule of 152f for 60 min then 170 for 10 min. When for 60 min is done do i just add enough boiling water to bring it up to 170? thanks for your help

Your first answer is: Boil the lactose with your priming sugar and add it at bottling. Yeast are lactose intolerant ;) They won't eat that stuff. Another name for what you are making is Milk Stout and it is supposed to be mildly sweet.

You are correct on your second question. Add hot enough water to get up to 170. The problem is that you probably want to rinse the grains and you DO NOT want to rinse the grains with water any hotter than 170. You will get an astringent off-flavor like a spent tea-bag. I like to rinse with 165 degree water to avoid that.

3 dog thanks that helps alot. I am not sure what rinse the grains means though? I am sure i can look it up thanks.

Back