Repitching on cake - how long between batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackAlleyBrewingCo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Can anyone with experience repitching on top of a yeast cake comment on how long you can safely go between racking off the last patch and pouring in the next? I'd like to rack the last batch on Saturday and brew the next batch on Sunday. Is that too long to leave the cake alone in the primary?

Has anybody ever had a problem with leaving if for too long?

You'll most likely be okay if you cover up the carboy/bucket and throw it in the fridge before you brew. Bring it out as the boil is finishing up to allow the yeast cake to get back to room temperature. Actually plan on doing this today and tomorrow as well. Good luck!

Why not learn how to wash the yeast then pitch the proper amount of slurry? Pitching on a cake is way too much yeast plus you have all the gunk and by products of the old yeast sitting in your new wort. There is a great sticky on how to wash yeast on this sight.

Why not learn how to wash the yeast then pitch the proper amount of slurry? Pitching on a cake is way too much yeast plus you have all the gunk and by products of the old yeast sitting in your new wort. There is a great sticky on how to wash yeast on this sight.

Thanks, I have washed yeast in the past in preparation for long term storage. But why bother if you don't have to?

BTW, I started another thread dealing with overpitching here:
Repitching on cake - overpitching risk overstated?

Back