5-Gallon Deer Park Water Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvanTheTerrible

Reaction score
Anything wrong with drilling a hole into a 5-Gallon Deer Park Water Bottle, adding a spigot, and using it ONLY as a bottleing bucket?

-I

Can not think of any. Maybe harder to clean? I assume you have one already so go for it. It will only be in there for a short time so no oxidation concerns really.

If you want to use it as a bottling bucket, then you may want to just cut the neck off, and maybe even then install a handle (I see a lot of bars using them like this to haul ice in)

Then you will have an easier time drilling a spigot....Just make sure you're leaving plenty of space above the 5 gallon mark.

The bottle I have already has a handle... sweet!

How would taking the neck off help drill the hole though? I figured I'd leave the neck on so I can use the "Syphon w/ a Carboy Cap" trick.

Step Drill, no contest. Drills ROUND holes and does it like butter, even in steel.

Harbour Freight has a 3-pack (up to one inch) for about 15 bucks.

The bottle I have already has a handle... sweet!

How would taking the neck off help drill the hole though? I figured I'd leave the neck on so I can use the "Syphon w/ a Carboy Cap" trick.

Well, you can then lie the bottle on the side bracing in on a piece of wood, and reach your hand and hopefully your drill into it and drill downward, from inside out....it will also make screwing the spigot on a heck of a lot easier...how were you planning to attach the rear nut/gasket to it and screw it on?

SPI-B.jpg

how were you planning to attach the rear nut/gasket to it and screw it on?

LOL. Forgot about that part! Maybe it's not such a good idea. Wow... that was a rough one.

How would you go about drilling into glass?

I also have this old 6+ gallon glass octoganal shaped beverage dispenser with a big open top. It has a hole drilled into it for a spigot. The hole is probably 1/2" wide. It has a copper or some kind of metal, super intricate spigot. I was afraid to use it because I wasnt sure I could get it clean enough. However, if I can enlarge the hole to 1" and install the big plastic spigot, then I'd feel more comfortable.

Any idea how I can enlarge the hole? It's definately glass.
-I

I still think its a good idea. Drill will slide through the plastic like butter. You can cut the top off without much trouble.

Maybe I am lost here but why not just attach your bottle filler to a racking cane? I bottled a cider straight from the secondary that way with an auto-syphon and it worked great. No holes to drill or spigots to tighten.

Maybe I am lost here but why not just attach your bottle filler to a racking cane? I bottled a cider straight from the secondary that way with an auto-syphon and it worked great. No holes to drill or spigots to tighten.

I know - I'm bored.

Besides, I didnt really enjoy the whole siphoning thing all that much the last time around.

Looks like I'll siphon out of primary into the bottling bucket. I'd still like to drill the 1 inch hole into the glass octoganal shaped beverage dispenser, though. I think it would make a great bottling vessel.

-I

I just read about the 1" (25mm) Diamond Hole Saw. Cuts through glass, tile, ceramics, etc. I'm going to pick one up and give it a shot.

Back