Switching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
So i have two kits that i will eventually be brewing. One is a belgian abbey ale and the other is a rochefort 10 clone from AHS. The belgian abbey ale came with Nottingham dry yeast (I should have opted for the liquid yeast) and the Rochefort 10 came with Wyeast Trappist yeast. I also have some Wyeast Belgian Abbey 1762. I saw a clone that Evan! made of the Rochefort 10 that included this particular yeast. My question is, should i switch the yeast on the Rochefort 10 kit to include the 1762? And then maybe use the Trappist yeast on the belgian abbey ale instead of the Nottingham dry yeast? Or should i just keep everything as is? Suggestions?

Use the 1762 on the Belgian Abbey. Stash the Nottingham in your fridge for emergency use.

yeah, the nottingham is unlikely to give you the flavor profile of a belgian.

can't say which is better for which, but i'd use both liquid yeasts. and make starters!

Use 1762 for the Rochefort. The best sources I've found say that 1762 most likely originated from Rochefort, and it is delicious.

3787 is probably my favourite yeast. It'll do great in your Belgian Abbey beer. It's used by two of the remaining Trappist breweries. It is incredibly tasty.

Make starters and aerate really really well. These are big beers.
Keep the Nottingham. Sometime you'll have an infected starter or a stuck fermentation, and you'll be glad it's around.

Latest posts

Back