First Annual Portland, OR AG Brew Fest 3/29

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
To all my brewing brothers and sisters in Portland, OR...
blacklab and I thought it would be a good idea to have an AG brew fest in the Portland area. For those that are interested in AG Brewing or just looking for an excuse to get together with fellow HBT'ers for a day of brewing (AG or otherwise).

Tentative plans include myself hosting (I'm in SE Portland/Milwaukie), no date has been set though. Just wanted to get a feel for who would be interested and what dates work.

Brewtopia, you're always getting into everybody's bidness! :D But I know how you feel. It's like pulling teeth trying to get people to get together round these parts. Count me in! I'm usually available during the day/evening, so that's fine for me.

A weekend would be great, maybe this spring after the weather warms up. I might be in, depending on how much advance notice I get. We are understaffed at work, so taking time off requires about 3-4 weeks notice.

I'm totally thinking a weekend. Saturday's are best for me, but that doesn't mean Sunday's are out. I've got a small garage and a retractable awning, so weather shouldn't be an issue. I'm hoping we're starting to get out of the really COLD weather, even though the rain will still be around.

Again, this is just a way to get some HBT'ers together to brew. Brewtopia, as someone that's taking their hobby to the next level I'd be honored to have you join us and maybe teach us (me) a few things.

So, I'm going to say February is too soon for most folks. Maybe the last weekend in March?

There is a slight chance I'm going to have Dragonboat practice Saturday (29th) morning (would be our first of the season). Is an early afternoon start time OK, or should we look at Sunday(30th)?

How many of you would be bringing equipment and doing batches? Just trying to get an idea of what everyone is thinking and maybe start planning a few batches.

Either works for me. I would like to bring equipment and brew a batch.

I'll drag over my gear. I'd rather start around noon, if possible.

What's a dragonboat? Sounds bada$$!

blacklab said:
What's a dragonboat? Sounds bada$$!

Never been to the Rose Festival??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_boat_racing

164491704_10bc06d5e6.jpg

2005_rosefestival.jpg

Bringing this back to the top so we can start working out the details.

Anyone else care to join in?

I'm still waiting to hear about dragon boating, but sent an email to the coach to find out if we will be having practice on that Saturday, and if so what time. SWMBO is paddling as well, so worst case for me is she goes, I don't.

Also, for those reading, don't let the AG portion scare you. This is open to everyone in the area that wants to get together and brew.

I have two small pugs at home, so if anyone is allergic or just doesn't like dogs, let me know! ;)

I don't know if I'll be hauling equipment down or not. I'll definitely have some beer with me though.

OK, first practice will NOT be on that Saturday, so the day is clear. What time are folks thinking they'd like to get started?

So are we looking at March 29th? I'd definately like to do this (pending SWMBO's) approval. If not I'll be at the Cask Beer festival the weekend before. No way SWMBO would be happy if I was gone for two weekends in a row. Yeah, I know I sound whipped, but I got to keep the boss happy.

Once the where and when get hammered out, I'll be able to give a firm commitment. Looking forward to meeting you all.

March 29th is the date. An AM start time. My place in Milwaukie. Address will be sent via PM. Not sure I want to be posting it in an open forum.

Kilted Brewer said:
March 29th is the date. An AM start time. My place in Milwaukie. Address will be sent via PM. Not sure I want to be posting it in an open forum.

Definately not, or you'll might end up with some weirdos that make me look tame. :D. If I make it I'll either come down the night before or stay in the area Saturday evening (depending on how much I end up drinking). Depending on equipment requirements I can bring my burner, 10G brewpot, MLT, wort chiller and any other odds and ends we need.

All this sounds cool.....How big of an event are you talking about? I'm always down for learning new techniques in home brew so I'd be cool with watching others brew. I would defiantly be bringing some my beer.

I'm pretty sure I have the SWMBO onboard with this now. Hope to see you all at the end of the month.

I just juggled my schedule with the Mrs. to make sure I was available. She was trying to plan something the same weekend but we were able to rearrange the schedule.

I plan on bringing gear and brewing a Black Butte Clone which will be my first clone and my first AG batch.

So who all is going to be there for sure and what do you all plan on brewing? Still debating whether I'll brew or observe. If I do brew, I'm thinking about a hefe or belgian.

I'm still unsure what I'm doing. I'm thinking a maybe a brown or another IPA. The Bridgeport clone I did isn't satisfying me. More malt flavor then I was looking for and not enough hops!

Also needed to figure out logistics from folks coming. Besides providing a venue for everyone to gather and brew/observe...what are others expecting/needing?

And how is a 9am start time for folks? Too early? Too late? I can always go later!

Logistics. Probably a hose connection with a couple of splitters so we can run a couple immersion chillers at once if necessary.

Canopies in case the weather blows?

We also could work out the details for food. I'm sure you have a grill, but probably aren't willing to spend all your cash feeding us, so what can we bring to help? Burgers, plates, bottled water, soda, etc....

I'd recommend PM'ing anyone that is planning on coming and outlining everything you can think of.

9AM works for me. I plan on coming down on Friday night and staying at my mother's house. She's only 20 miles north of Portland.

I can bring some stuff if needed. Extra immersion chiller, hose, oxynator, etc. just let me know what is needed.

I can also bring some meat and some Naked Spur Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q sauce.

and of course beer. :mug:

Sounds great guys.

I've got an extra immersion chiller as I just purhcased a CFC that needs to get broken in!

I also have a grill, so feel free to bring anything that would require some grilling.

Let me gather a list of folks from this thread that were interested and I'll send out a PM with some more details.

Looking forward to this!

I'll probably come down that morning and might run a little late (10-11). Don't know if I'm going to be motivated enough to crawl out of bed early for a 3+ hour drive. Chances are I won't drive down Friday as SWMBO usually gets off work after 6PM, and I usually take care of dinner.

Come on nancy-boy where's your sense of adventure? I have to work that night and I'll be getting off work at 7 AM to be there by 9.... make that 10 AM.

9am works for me.

I think if we get a few immersion chillers and some buckets with ice water we can really shorten cooling times. I plan on bringing mine. I think I have a 4-way hose splitter but will try to remember to verify this week.

Yeah, if you have a splitter that would be great. I have two hoses in the back, but a splitter will help.

I also have a large "beverage" tub with rope handles that can be used for ice.

Does anyone that is coming have the tools and experience to cut an opening into a keg? Wanna bring them with??? I've got two kegs I need to get the tops off, but don't have the tools nor the know how.

Tools yes...........experience no. But I have cut into other metals so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Do you have a compressor?

Back