Starter: Throw it out, or let it go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbhistory

Reaction score
I started my first starter on Monday. I put 1 WY1098 smack pack in a 2L starter, to get my 200 billion. All went well, I refrigerated it over night, decanted this morning, and threw in 2000 ML of new wort on top and went to lunch. When I came back, the krausen had leaked out the top (I sterilized my foil) and now I have lost about 100 ML. I was going for a step up to 300 Bill. I am now wondering whether I screwed the pooch on this one. Should I just scrap it, or let it keep going and hope for the best? Opinions?

I'd keep it and use it too. I'd also recommend using an anti foam drop next time in each wort addition to prevent the krausen issue from happening again.

Fishin-Jay said:
I'd keep it and use it too. I'd also recommend using an anti foam drop next time in each wort addition to prevent the krausen issue from happening again.

Thank you all! I will give that anti foam drop a go next time. Cheers!

I overflowed a starter and the foil fell off. I used it and had no problems. So you'll be good.

Out of curiosity, I plug in my blow off tube to keep it from making a huge mess, should I just put the foil back on and deal with the mess?

Out of curiosity, I plug in my blow off tube to keep it from making a huge mess, should I just put the foil back on and deal with the mess?

If the flask is large enough, no messes should be made. I only make a mess when lazy and can't find my larger flask.

If it were me I would probably move it to a cooler location until it has settled down and deal with the mess if it keeps up. If you do want to fiddle with it then you might consider moving it to a larger container. (Plastic food storage container, kettle, pickle jar)

I read what I wrote and realized it didn't make sense... I meant to ask if you all think it would be okay to leave my blow off tube attached or if I should take it out (I feel like I read somewhere that it needed to get o2 as well as release co2

Take it off. You need O2 for sure - this is why starters on stirplates do best, followed by starters that are shaken (the O2 helps you grow more yeast).

homebrewdad said:
Take it off. You need O2 for sure - this is why starters on stirplates do best, followed by starters that are shaken (the O2 helps you grow more yeast).

Thank you good sir!

Latest posts

Back