Spontaneous hop combustion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On Saturday I was brewing a saison and as I had my hops sitting in a stainless mixing bowl. Well the bowl must have been a parabolic reflector because in minutes if being in the sun the leaf hops burst into flames. I wasn't smoking a cigar at the time, and any sources of flame were a good distance away. Then I realized that it had to be the bowl and I stuck it into the shade, shortly after blowing out the flaming hops, of course.

So has this ever happened to anyone else?

On Saturday I was brewing a saison and as I had my hops sitting in a stainless mixing bowl. Well the bowl must have been a parabolic reflector because in minutes if being in the sun the leaf hops burst into flames. I wasn't smoking a cigar at the time, and any sources of flame were a good distance away. Then I realized that it had to be the bowl and I stuck it into the shade, shortly after blowing out the flaming hops, of course.

So has this ever happened to anyone else?

Did it look like your avatar?

On a serious note, were you still able to use the hops? If you did, would the burned portions affect the beer's taste?

Ummm... wow. I hope you didn't spill your beer when you went to go put out the flames!

Your experience reminds me of a cigarette lighter we bought from Radio Shack for my grandmother in the 1970'S. Glad to hear everything came out ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a Scout outing, one kid had a solar oven his dad built. He used a curved reflector, so the cookies in the middle of the oven charred and burned, but the rest of the pan was raw.

On a Scout outing, one kid had a solar oven his dad built. He used a curved reflector, so the cookies in the middle of the oven charred and burned, but the rest of the pan was raw.

...and the Scout Master said, "Little Johnny, if only you were less focused!" ? badaboom, dancing bananas.

M

Back