Random Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louie0202

Reaction score
I went to an all Grain Class in Chicago if you are new to All Grain check out Dabblehq.com they list all kinds of classes for 20 dollars. Anyways in two weeks I am going to make my first all grain batch so my question is this, once you are done with the grain, is this something I can throw in my composter? Do most people throw it away? or is there some other use for it?

you can do a lot with it and i highly recommend baking bread. Word of advice... don't leave it in the hot sun and if you do compost make sure it is a ways away from people. It really is the worst smell ever if by chance you leave it in your mash tun for a week if you forget about it. Not that I was ever that dumb and did that... ok maybe

you can do a lot with it and i highly recommend baking bread. Word of advice... don't leave it in the hot sun and if you do compost make sure it is a ways away from people. It really is the worst smell ever if by chance you leave it in your mash tun for a week if you forget about it. Not that I was ever that dumb and did that... ok maybe

The first time I left it in the mash tun over night. Huge mistake. Once I left it in a plastic bag two days before trash day. Smells something like 15 lbs of warm vomit. Amazing how something so good can go so funky in so little time.

Back