White chocolate porter, possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklordenron

Reaction score
Is this even possible? I want to use real bakers chocolate and don't know diddly about cooking supplies. Does this exist? I also need a recipe for a nice, light porter. The kits are fine and all, but I want to think outside the box, no pun intended.
What do you think?

I would skip the white chocolate and do a dark chocolate vanilla bean combo to get a similar taste profile but a smoother drink. White chocolate isnt actually chocolate so im not sure how it would hold up.

wedge421 said:
I would skip the white chocolate and do a dark chocolate vanilla bean combo to get a similar taste profile but a smoother drink. White chocolate isnt actually chocolate so im not sure how it would hold up.

That sounds like it would work better. Any recipes out there?

White chocolate I think would be too sweet for a porter. A nice DARK chocolate will have better flavor profiles for Porter.

White chocolate (real white chocolate...) must be at least 20% cocoa butter, so it technically IS chocolate. But "white chocolate" baking pieces are likely fake and mostly hydrogenated oil of one form plus sugar (or probably high-fructose corn syrup).

TomOliver said:
Haikus make me thirst
Must walk over to my keg
What a silly thread.

I like trying new and different things. Maybe you should too. It is what keeps this hobby interesting.
Could've just shaken your head behind your computer screen, refrained from hitting the reply button and moved on with YOUR brewing instead...

Hey man, I wasn't criticizing you.

I was just replying to the haikus with another haiku. The "silly" part was the haiku.

Sorry if I offended you.

Tom

i dont think the first haiku was serious either, or else he probably wouldn't have used haiku. nothing about your idea is ridiculous. sounds good actually. i like the idea of regular chocolate with vanilla beans. i think white chocolate has cocoa butter and vanilla in it. so you could get the flavor without the oils. sounds like a good experiment

I've been trying to come up with a white chocolate porter recipe myself. I had a white chocolate brown ale from Cleveland Chop House at the last brew fest I went to & it was pretty tasty. The brewer said he just melted down the white chocolate & added it after fermentation. I thought this method would kill any head retention, but it didn't for this beer.

I found some Ghirardelli white bakers chocolate (powder) at the grocery store that I'll probably experiment with whenever I get around to brewing this. I'm thinking of adding some to the end of the boil & maybe making a paste for the secondary depending on how the hydrometer samples taste.

Let me know what you come up with & how it turns out if you brew it.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Hey man, I wasn't criticizing you.

I was just replying to the haikus with another haiku. The "silly" part was the haiku.

Sorry if I offended you.

Tom

Sorry, I sometimes can't tell sarcasm and silliness over the cybernet :drunk:
No hard feelings. I just thought that since I was eating a white chocolate hershey bar at the time and it reminded me of a chocolate porter...I just put two and two together, haha.

I've been trying to come up with a white chocolate porter recipe myself. I had a white chocolate brown ale from Cleveland Chop House at the last brew fest I went to & it was pretty tasty. The brewer said he just melted down the white chocolate & added it after fermentation. I thought this method would kill any head retention, but it didn't for this beer.

I found some Ghirardelli white bakers chocolate (powder) at the grocery store that I'll probably experiment with whenever I get around to brewing this. I'm thinking of adding some to the end of the boil & maybe making a paste for the secondary depending on how the hydrometer samples taste.

Let me know what you come up with & how it turns out if you brew it.

I'm not too good at coming up with recipes to be brutally honest. I usually use the pre-packaged ones and augment them with ingredients that I think might go well with the brew. I wish I knew how to do all the math and come up with simple ingredients lists so that I could stop buying these expensive kits. Sometimes (not always,) it IS cheaper to buy raw extract ingredients and brew that instead of them kits..

I'm thinking of going with something like...
- 10 or 11 lbs 2-row
- 1.5 lbs chocolate
- 1 lb Crystal 40
- 1 lb lactose
- 1/2 lb flaked barley
- maybe a hint of brown sugar (1/4 lb late addition)
- 16 oz ghirardelli white chocolate powder late addition (I figure you need more than the norm for the white chocolate flavor to break thru the roastyness of the base porter - I'd want a strong white chocolate flavor anyway)

- 1 oz Cascade 60 min
- 1/2 oz N. Brewer 30 min
- 1/2 oz N. Brewer 15 min

- Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast w/2L starter

Keep in mind this is just off the top of my head.

I attend a Cigar bar in here in Gilbert, AZ regulary and they have a wide selection of liquor and craft brews. Last weekend I saw a new tap handle with a catus that read Sonoran and asked our bartender what it was. She said it was a white chocolate ale and as I made a funny/disgusted face she told me it is amazing. I asked for a sample and she delivered. Next thing you know, me and the four other people I was with had a cold one in our hand. I'm now on the hunt to make something similiar. The reviews state exactly what it smells and tastes like. A very light and crisp taste with a white chocolate aftertaste at the end.
http://www.sonoranbrewing.com/beers/White_Chocolate_Ale.php
http://www.sonoranbrewing.com/news.php

If you're in AZ check out the locations you can find it and give it a try before you make disgusting faces like I did.

I can also confirm that this beer is amazing. Has anyone had success with a clone recipe? can't find it anywhere. Last tuesday i met one of the owners of the brewery and didn't even know it until it was too late. I would have asked him if i knew! so close...

Back