• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Brooklyn Brew Shop gift certificate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
their kits are pretty expesnive $40 for 5 gallon kit? im assuming the kits come with dry yeast

if no one else wants it... ill pay 75 for the 150 gc

SWMBO got me my starter kit from there over a year ago. The kits come with Wyeast smack packs.

Their starter kits suck, they sell you this all-grain kit with just a 5G primary fermenter and a bottling bucket and expect you to mash in the bucket with a grain bag.

Thanks for the interest guys. The gift certificate is sold. Anyone know how I can change the prefix on this post?

It's a weird shop they've got. I appreciate the design philosophy, but they're oddly stubborn about some things. The bottling bucket mash I get. It's not an ideal approach perhaps, but it's supremely low-tech. Charlie Papazian seems to like it, anyway. But the 5gal primary? That's just crazy. Make it a 6gal and for an extra $6 it becomes useful.

They've been successful, though, and I imagine they've gotten a lot of people into the hobby. Sort of a hipster Mr. Beer.
-malfet

yeah ive seen these things sold in whole foods in nj, crazy

so heres what i picked up

Bag of Caps $4.00
Starsan Sanitizer $8.00
A Well Made Tripel $40.00
Gingerbread Ale $40.00
Honey Sage Seasonal $40.00

after shipping it was a few cents under 150

thanks

A Well Made Tripel is a tasty brew, it is kinda Duvalish. It was my gateway kit that started me down the brewing trail. My wife bought the kit for me for Father's Day last year, but just the 1 gallon kit, I think it came with dry yeast. Fortunately I had buddy that is a brewer that had all the right equipment to make things a success for my first attempt. The shop was mentioned in one of her women's mags so a hipster Mr. Beer is a good description.

Twobrain said it - Brooklyn Brew Shop sells kits through Whole Foods. I know three people who got them as gifts from their wives and all three had problems making the beer. BBS has one gallon kits that leave little room for error and are marketed more as novelties than serious brewing supplies. It should not be confused with Brooklyn Home Brew, which is an excellent store with original recipes, grains by the pound, knowlegable staff.

bhb is pretty hipster

bbs is overpriced, but at half off, ill give the 5gallon kits a go

Twobrain said it - Brooklyn Brew Shop sells kits through Whole Foods. I know three people who got them as gifts from their wives and all three had problems making the beer. BBS has one gallon kits that leave little room for error and are marketed more as novelties than serious brewing supplies. It should not be confused with Brooklyn Home Brew, which is an excellent store with original recipes, grains by the pound, knowlegable staff.

True, though I suspect I'd rather be the owner of BBS than BHB.

BBS is for hipsters who want to "try" homebrewing. BHB is for real homebrewers.

I dunno, man. I was in BHB for an hour today, and it did a pretty steady business in hipsters who want, as you say, to "try" homebrewing.

Edit: that's no slight against BHB. Their staff is always extremely helpful, and their prices are strangely competitive for NYC.

You will definitely see hipsters in both places, but BBS isn't really a full on homebrew shop; they definitely are kit oriented. Being an all-grain brewer who mostly brews his own recipes, I'm looking for a shop exactly like BHB.

I guess I'm a little biased though because I have been using BHB since I had to run up the stairs on 56th Street to pic up my stuff. Let's just say that work takes me to that neighborhood a lot... ;)

Got my order today.

ForumRunner_20110204_192255.jpg

Latest posts

Back