Yeast Strain To Achieve Massive Farts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody noticed that some yeast strains yield more farts than others? :rockin:

I made a batch of beer recently that's giving me hellacious farts. I'm just wondering whether it is the yeast... or maybe the LME that I used... I dunno.

I saved some of the yeast, was making a starter, but now I am afraid to use it on my next batch.

I've noticed I've been gassier after the Spring Hop Fest. The hoppier the fest, the more obnoxious it will become.

Wild

I dont know how scientific thi is, but I made two baches with WLP 007 Dry English Ale Yeast, and drinking either of those (or a few of each) sets me off the next day.

- magno

Yeast may have something todo with it....But, its most likely the unferemented long chain sugars that are in the final beer. The microbes in your gut can "digest" these and the by product is methane=farts. So it I would hypothesize that beers with higher final specific gravities would tend to give you more farts.

I think that over time my system is less tolerant of yeast and everyone around me pays the price. The same thing happens with dry roasted peanuts, which have yeast in their coating. When I lay off the HB for a while the results are refreshing.

Low attenuation yeasts leave more for your gut bacteria to play with, musically I mean.

I just have too many suspects going through the digestive system on weekends to single out the homebrew as the guilty party. Usually by midnight on Saturday it could have been any of the following:

Chorizo omlet
Smoked Ribs
Habanero Salsa
Tequila
Margaritas
Homebrew

I like to paint with lots of brushes.

Maybe we should all work on a recipe to give the maximum amount of flatulence possible. That would be a fun project.

I used White Labs Burton Ale yeast on my last batch instead of WLP002 like I usually do for this recipe. It seems like I'm a little more fragrant than usual.

Fiery Sword said:
I just have too many suspects going through the digestive system on weekends to single out the homebrew as the guilty party. Usually by midnight on Saturday it could have been any of the following:

Chorizo omlet
Smoked Ribs
Habanero Salsa
Tequila
Margaritas
Homebrew

I like to paint with lots of brushes.

We have a regular Michelangelo here boys.:rockin:

Toot said:
Has anybody noticed that some yeast strains yield more farts than others? :rockin:

I made a batch of beer recently that's giving me hellacious farts. I'm just wondering whether it is the yeast... or maybe the LME that I used... I dunno.

I saved some of the yeast, was making a starter, but now I am afraid to use it on my next batch.

Am I the only one who finds it absolutely hilarious that this thread was started by a man named "Toot"? :D

Too much Guinness at night and I'm a horrible person to be around the next day... Though, the worst I've ever experienced was from a jalapeno beer, my friends and I bought a case of it when I was in college, our dorm practically needed to be evacuated from the stench:D

With all the good brew that olllllo and I drank, I've been a regular ass-trumpeter the past week. And I've been dropping deuces 12"+ quite regularly.

This weekend starts the cheap beer drinking. Ugh.

Cheesefood said:
And I've been dropping deuces 12"+ quite regularly.

Do you keep a tape measure by the toilet or are ya just eyeballing those measurements??:confused:

And, anyone can smoke their swmbo out of bed with a nasty fart, but waking yourself from a dead sleep from the stench, now that's an accomplishment!!:mug:

Two months ago, one of my co-workers was having a prolificly gassy day. The things were moving through the office with blazing speed, somewhere in the vicinity of 6-7 feet per second. Carl Lewis farts.

Regardless, he was laying one down in a very demonstrative way and something went wrong. He assumed a very somber, concerned look on his face and cut the show short. I didn't see him for an hour and a half, and we were actually looking for him. Later that afternoon, he slips back into the office....with different color pants on. He aggressively denied sharting his pants, but my later conversation with his unemployed roommate confirmed he went home and changed his pants.

So be careful, people. If there's a 12"er up there, it could turn into a big, embarrasing mess.

Fiery Sword said:
Two months ago, one of my co-workers was having a prolificly gassy day. The things were moving through the office with blazing speed, somewhere in the vicinity of 6-7 feet per second. Carl Lewis farts.

Regardless, he was laying one down in a very demonstrative way and something went wrong. He assumed a very somber, concerned look on his face and cut the show short. I didn't see him for an hour and a half, and we were actually looking for him. Later that afternoon, he slips back into the office....with different color pants on. He aggressively denied sharting his pants, but my later conversation with his unemployed roommate confirmed he went home and changed his pants.

So be careful, people. If there's a 12"er up there, it could turn into a big, embarrasing mess.

Ahhh...the shart.

I think we need Bobby_m to do another experiment with the rubber gloves again.

OMFG,I'm nearly fallin'off the chair-typin's pretty tough-I've noticed that Nottingham yeast in a pale ale I'm now drinkin sets me off rather nicely-wifey really appreciates the bombs produced after a session (if I drop one while she's out of the room-I just blame them on the dog) They're that bad..... Gotta love it !

I'd say yea to the recipe compilation. Shane

So I was cleaning the basement toilet tonight. I have a friend who comes over and drinks my homebrew, then absolutely punishes the john. Maybe I should develop a recipe that prevents all of this....

alemonkey said:
So I was cleaning the basement toilet tonight. I have a friend who comes over and drinks my homebrew, then absolutely punishes the john. Maybe I should develop a recipe that prevents all of this....

So what do you think the *real* reason is for me using Bean-o in my Maibock? :drunk:

cnbudz said:
...And, anyone can smoke their swmbo out of bed with a nasty fart, but waking yourself from a dead sleep from the stench, now that's an accomplishment!!:mug:

Kind of the same...

I tapped into my Rye Stout the other night, and woke up with a case of atomic farts. I got ready, went to work, and got a call from my wife, who had worked the night shift. She said she walked into the bedroom, and usually enjoys the scent of my cologne lingerig in the air, but this time the scent left behind curdled her blood! I was so proud!:D

Back