Kolsch: anyone to abject using Cascade instead of a Noble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjewell

Reaction score
7.15 lbs. German 2-row Pils info
0.34 lbs. German Light Munich info
2.04 lbs. German Wheat Malt Light info
0.26 lbs. Weyermann CaraFoam® info
0.4 oz. Perle (Pellets, 8.25 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
0.4 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 30 min. info
0.3 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 5 min. info
Yeast : WYeast 2565 Kolsch info

So I am thinking about using Cascade instead of Hallertau. I want the citrus aroma with some bitterness. I would adjust the amounts added to stay with in the style guidelines.

I am pretty new at this, but if you think this is stupid, say so. haha.

Sounds like a fun change. Americanizing German beers is always cool with me :mug:

Ahh, yeah, I forgot that Cascade is American. "Americanizing" is good word for it then.

Not stupid, just don't call it a Kolsch.

So hop choice has a large role in what style of beer it is?

Call it a Charleston or Georgia or (whatever city/state you're in) Kolsch :)

"N'AWLINS" <--- spoken in tourist speak.... or how about, "Southern Gentlemen"........... if this is not a big hint of where I from....

I object to your abject choice of hops.

I was waiting for someone to say it. +1

Yeah, it does. This is not a style nazi thing but in the case of a Kolsch it is not just a very specific style of beer, Kolsch is in fact an appellation. Using Cascade hops in a so-called Kolsch, while unfortunately not a Federal crime, does automatically make it a different beer. It's still a blond ale but it ain't a Kolsch.

Yeah, it does. This is not a style nazi thing but in the case of a Kolsch it is not just a very specific style of beer, Kolsch is in fact an appellation. Using Cascade hops in a so-called Kolsch, while unfortunately not a Federal crime, does automatically make it a different beer. It's still a blond ale but it ain't a Kolsch.

ahhh that would make sense. I agree. So how is this recipe? Ok for a blonde? Should I just look at other blondes just to get an idea for hop schedule?

edit: I need a bittering hop. Like Northern Brewer.

Ahh, yeah, I forgot that Cascade is American. "Americanizing" is good word for it then.

"N'AWLINS" <--- spoken in tourist speak.... or how about, "Southern Gentlemen"........... if this is not a big hint of where I from....

I was waiting for someone to say it. +1
Horizon Kolsch? Not in a negative sense, more like 'in memory of'.

Horizon Kolsch? Not in a negative sense, more like 'in memory of'.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I see what you did there...

and

http://www.brew365.com/hops_horizon.php <---- Horizon Hops for bittering? I think this idea is a win.

I think this name should be reserved for a MEAN IPA though. A bitter drink for a bitter'ed community of people.

Despite perception New Orleans has nothing wrong with it. Everything is open here. The coast is messed up West of the Mississippi River.

Hate to say it, but the Federal Gov't has failed us again. Obama's Katrina for sure. Not trying to be political here, but the lack of response has been tough on us. There is so much red tape that nobody can do anything to help. State gov't can't clean on Fed gov't land...ect ect ect.

Just wait til a Hurricane forms in the Gulf. Oil all over. Killing the marsh. Marsh holds the dirt on the coast. RAPID erosion. My house is minutes away from the Gulf, as of now. Can't wait 20 years from now. No house.

Seriously, New Orleans is a great city. Its really fun and I haven't seen everything in it yet. So much to do and EAT!!!.....well enough from my rant....Horizon Kolsch. Sounds good.

That recipe with Cascade hops would fit the Blonde ale category just fine.

Mississipi River/Gulf Stream is gonna take that **** all the way around Florida, into the Bahamas, etc. So sad, disgusting, infuriating, etc.

Been to NO for Mardi Gras once. Beignets every morning and a muffuletta every day for lunch...I usually drank my dinner.

Mississipi River/Gulf Stream is gonna take that **** all the way around Florida, into the Bahamas, etc. So sad, disgusting, infuriating, etc.

Been to NO for Mardi Gras once. Beignets every morning and a muffuletta every day for lunch...I usually drank my dinner.

Now you're making me homesick.

Mardi Gras is fine to visit, but its too touristy at that time. Everything is over done, streets are crowded, trash all over, kids peeing EVERYWHERE, police are a$$holes to everyone... for locals 'its a love hate relationship'.

For SUPERBOWL, when the Saints won...WOW...that was a party!!!

Latest posts

Back