Bottling in growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to switch from bottling to kegging. I would like to continue to brew in 6 gallon batches as I usually do to ensure that I don't come up short when it comes time to fill the keg, but I would still like to be able to use the extra that is left over. I was wandering if it would be possible to bottle with priming sugar in a growler so that I would only have one or two containers to deal with instead of multiple small bottles.

My concerns are: 1) can a conventional growler or similar glass jug handle the pressure or carbonation? and 2) will the screw-on cap create sanitation problems?

I have seen the swing-top ultra thick growlers that, i'm sure, would work much better for this purpose, but I am trying to find a more economical means of using large containers to bottle

Growlers aren't meant to be able to hold full carbonation pressures and if you search around here you'll find stories of exploding growlers from people doing the same thing. Sure some people have done it with no problem but it isn't worth taking a chance.

It isn't that big of a hassle to bottle up 10 bottles and stash them somewhere for later. If you are determined to use bigger bottles for find some cheap Mexican beers in 32 oz. bottles and recap. only 4 bottles are needed then. Cheaper than growlers too. Heres a thread on the subject https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/1-quart-bottles-20690/#post199448

Back