Any beers you serve @ 35°?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning my Oktoberfest and my calculations say if I can get it brewed by the end of July it can really be ready for October. I know the lagering isn't optimal, but it's good enough for me.

Anywho, I'll lager in a corney @ 35°. I can fit two corney's in my kegger. I hate the idea of going an entire month with nothing on tap, so is there anything outside piss flavored american beer worth serving @ 35°? Nothing in any of my books says to serve anything that cold.

Just curious...

Storing the beer a little too cold won't hurt a thing. Just drink how you normally would.

When it hits the room temperature glass, it's going to rise a degree or two and depending upon ambient temp, it'll climb fairly quickly after that. I wouldn't worry too much.

What you can do is to get bigger glasses. It'll take you longer to drink it, so the bulk of the beer will have more time to warm up a little bit. Plus, big glasses are always better. And you're going to need some big steins for that Festbier anyhow, aren't you?

:mug:

I know I will probably get crucified, but I like my beer COLD! I mean like, 33º cold! I know it's not "proper" to serve all beers like that, but icy cold brew in a frosted glass is the way you'll get served at my house!

Storing the beer a little too cold won't hurt a thing. Just drink how you normally would.

When it hits the room temperature glass, it's going to rise a degree or two and depending upon ambient temp, it'll climb fairly quickly after that. I wouldn't worry too much.

What you can do is to get bigger glasses. It'll take you longer to drink it, so the bulk of the beer will have more time to warm up a little bit. Plus, big glasses are always better. And you're going to need some big steins for that Festbier anyhow, aren't you?

:mug:

You do man!

I usually serve my beer colder than needed as well, right around 40F. Although this is not "optimal" for my IIPA, it's what I like. I don't see any problems with serving beers around lagering temps. One of the best ones to try would be the "Cream of Three Crops". Good stuff and is "somewhat" a BMC type of beer, perfect for those super low serving temps.

I know I will probably get crucified, but I like my beer COLD! I mean like, 33º cold! I know it's not "proper" to serve all beers like that, but icy cold brew in a frosted glass is the way you'll get served at my house!

The point is who cares what temp YOU like it. Just because the monks didn't have a frigidare when the invented beer doesn't mean they wouldn't have used it. I like my beer cold too. And I also let it warm to a warmer temp as I drink it. That's not to say it stays in the glass TOO long.....

I like my beer cold too. And I also let it warm to a warmer temp as I drink it. That's not to say it stays in the glass TOO long.....
I was getting ready to post the very same thing. I love the first ice cold sip. I usually take my time drinking a beer (esp when I'm enjoying a tripel or other high ABV brew) and I enjoy the last warmer sip as much as the first cold one. I'm afraid if I drank it at recommended serving temp (mid/high 40's for a tripel, for example) it'd be luke warm by the time I finished.

I like low-gravity lawnmower ales cold. Bent Rod Rye was designed to be consumed cold.

I serve at 38*F regardless of the beer on tap.

Same here, in general the colder the better for storing beer. But I like to drink some beers warmer. So, for example, I will pour a glass of my English bitter, set it aside, pour a pint of blonde, drink the blonde, drink the bitter....perfect.

Latest posts

Back