American Pale Ale Summer Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Dryhop for 5 days at 65
Tasting Notes
Smooth, \\"bright\\" hoppy flavor with a nice malt backbone
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.5 %
2 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
1 lbs Wheat - White Malt (2.3 SRM) Grain 5.1 %

1.00 oz Magnum [11.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min 20.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 14.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.00 oz 7Cs Falconer's Flight 1 minute

1.00 oz Centennial- Dry Hop 5 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 5 Days

I had to post this recipe in here (first one in a long time I've posted in the database!) because it turned out so well! Per this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/brewing-new-apa-today-410696/, I wanted an easy drinking hoppy beer with lower ABV for summer.

I did 5 gallons with Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450) and while I like it, the Wyeast 1272 is just better.

I used a nearly "pale ale" water profile for this, with this water profile:
Ca- 139
Mg- 10
Na- 3
S04- 240
Cl- 49
Mash pH was 5.47

The flavor is quite "lively" per Bob, and the hops work very well together. It has a fresh flavor, not sweet, and not too dry, with a great hops aroma. The head retention is wonderful, and the Wyeast 1272 produced a very clear beer quickly.

Looks good yooper. What temp. did you mash at? 152? Maybe lower with that malt bill???

This needs beer in glass p0rn! :)

Seems like it would be pretty malty for a pale ale. I like that idea. My next recipe is a hopped up American Amber.

This needs beer in glass p0rn! :)

Seems like it would be pretty malty for a pale ale. I like that idea. My next recipe is a hopped up American Amber.

It's really balanced, and the hops flavor is so lively and bright that the malt doesn't really compete at all. It's not sweet, so I think it can get away with more maltiness.

I'll try to remember to take a picture tonight, after work, since they frown on my drinking at the hospital. :drunk:

Recipe is 10 gallon? Kind of inferred that from the yeast comment. Just double checking...

Recipe is 10 gallon? Kind of inferred that from the yeast comment. Just double checking...

Actually, 10.5. 5.25 gallons in each fermenter is typically what I do.

The info for OG/IBUs/Batch size is at the top of the post.
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 10.5
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 38

Nice.

My pale ale is also about 1.050 and 38 IBU's. It seems like a sweet spot for a good sessionable pale ale.

Yooper,
If I did a partial Mash would this work:
1 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
.5 lbs Wheat - White Malt (2.3 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
7 lbs Extra light LME

5 gallon batch

Thanks,
Martin

Yooper,
If I did a partial Mash would this work:
1 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
.5 lbs Wheat - White Malt (2.3 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
7 lbs Extra light LME

5 gallon batch

Thanks,
Martin

Yes, I think that would work fine!

Munich malt, wheat malt, and Vienna malt can self-convert, but and the wheat malt will have enough excess diastatic power to convert the victory and crystal.

Hiya Yooper, Do you happen to know what your water alkalinity was for this recipe?

I have the ingredients on hand... seems like a nice pale ale. But I'm stumbling over the water additions. Thanks in advance! - N_G

Hc03 was 94. (Actually, 93.9)

I am still a bit rusty on my water chemistry but I thought Alkalinity was expressed as ppm of CaCO3 ?

I use Brunwater spreadsheets to work out my profiles based on my water report. My Alkalinity for my pale ale is 91.

I am still a bit rusty on my water chemistry but I thought Alkalinity was expressed as ppm of CaCO3 ?

I use Brunwater spreadsheets to work out my profiles based on my water report. My Alkalinity for my pale ale is 91.

Either/Or.

HCO3 is what I have. It can easily be converted to CaC03 by simple math.

This sounds really good. So for a 5 gallon batch, PM, I'd just cut the hops in half? Thanks!

-Kingboomer

Yes, that would work great. I originally had all amarillo for the 1 minute addition, and I think that would be good too- but I found that ounce of 7Cs in the freezer so decided to use them then.

I forgot that I was going to post a picture! Since I'm drinking it right now, I just took a quick photo, so you can see the color.

DSCN1168.jpg

It's actually beautifully clear, with a nice lacing on the glass (from the wheat I assume). The glass has some condensation on it, so it's hard to see well through it in the photo.

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.5 %
2 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
1 lbs Wheat - White Malt (2.3 SRM) Grain 5.1 %

1.00 oz Magnum [11.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min 20.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 14.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.00 oz 7Cs Falconer's Flight 1 minute

1.00 oz Centennial- Dry Hop 5 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 5 Days

I just did what I called an American and and English Summer Ale, 12.5 gallons each on the same day...

The American is a lot like yours thought lower gravity and IBUs

The English was half Two Row and Pilsner.

The main difference was the hops (American verses English).

I kegged two English, two American, and one with the left over beer from both....

1 and a half parties later most of it is gone...

I really liked the English one and will do it again...

Cheers...

Brewing this now! I am sure it will be great.. Brewing five gallon only batch- No 7C falconers flight though.. I will replace that with Amarillo.. I missed the mash temp by two degrees (150), but don't think it should make a huge deal.. Wish me luck! Thanks for the recipe Yooper

I'm getting ready to brew this soon. I hate to tweak a recipe before I've even tried it. However, what do you think about doing the flavor and aroma hop schedule with just Amarillo and Willamette along with the Magnum for bittering?

I'm getting ready to brew this soon. I hate to tweak a recipe before I've even tried it. However, what do you think about doing the flavor and aroma hop schedule with just Amarillo and Willamette along with the Magnum for bittering?

It would probably be very good- it won't be the same at all as the 7Cs, as willamette is earthier and without all the citrus character. But still should be a tasty beer!

I finally found some time to make this. It was and still is an unfortunate ongoing process. I managed to strike in at 158 somehow....

5 minutes into the mash I remembered that I had measured out salts and acid and added them ...

30 minutes into the boil I remembered that I forgot to add Camden tabs to break the chloramine... so I tossed one in who knows what that will do....

It is now doing a 20 min hot rest after the boil. I did get close to the post boil volume and OG. Oy vey.... I used to be more on-top of these simple mistakes... Glad I wasn't hosting a how to brew session. I will report back on how it tastes in August.

Yooper,

Nice recipe. I have never brewed with white wheat before. What reason(s) did you add it to your recipe? TIA

Brewed this a month ago, kegged today, and enjoying the first glass now. It's awesome, thanks for the recipe Yooper! The wheat addition is brilliant, head is nice and creamy and really sticks around.

I sized it down to 5 gal and subbed out the bittering hops for Northern Brewer (because I had some in the fridge) and the aroma hops for Cascade (because Amarillo isn't available in KC right now). Dry hopped for a week with an oz of Cascade.

Delicious, thanks again!

I also kegged my version today with some gelatin. I'm crazy sick so I didn't bother to taste test. I'll do so this weekend, perhaps.

I brewed this a month ago and took the keg on a fishing trip to northern Wisconsin. Everyone loved it! I was looking for a lighter hoppy beer and this is it. Thanks for the recipe Yooper I'll be making it again. :mug:

I brewed this with US-05. It is awesome. I can tell there is a little weirdness because I didn't use camden to kill some choramine, but that flaw isn't too bad. I really like the hop profile. Finally a great use for Amarillo! And the malt bill is nice too. Thanks for a great contribution Yooper!

I brewed this a month ago and took the keg on a fishing trip to northern Wisconsin. Everyone loved it! I was looking for a lighter hoppy beer and this is it. Thanks for the recipe Yooper I'll be making it again. :mug:

Hold on! You came up to my neck of the woods, and brought a keg of this and forgot to invite me?!?!? :cross:

How do you think this will turn out with US-05? Does the WY1272 add that much?

It'll be great with S05! It'll just be "cleaner" and not fruity, although I ferment cool anyway with 1272 and it's not particularly fruity.

Really wanting to brew this but the HBS was out of Amarillo. What's your thought on going all in with Falconer's instead for the 15 & 1 additions? Or Falconer's for the 15 and 1 and then also add citra at 1? I think that's about as close as I'm going to get and I have a vacation day coming up this week so I'm brewing something regardless. This looks refreshing to me.

Really wanting to brew this but the HBS was out of Amarillo. What's your thought on going all in with Falconer's instead for the 15 & 1 additions? Or Falconer's for the 15 and 1 and then also add citra at 1? I think that's about as close as I'm going to get and I have a vacation day coming up this week so I'm brewing something regardless. This looks refreshing to me.

It still should be good- but the amarillo is extra grapefruity and more "summer" to me.

I am coming to the end of my keg of this ale. I love this stuff. I also love that you chose Falconer's Flight as one of the hops to add to this one. That is one of my favorite hop choices and I don't see it used enough in the recipes here. FF packs an awesome semi-sweet citrus punch and I can't get enough of it.

Williams brewing is having a sale on malt extract and I'm going to do this one again. Instead of using grains, this time I'm going to treat myself to 8 pounds of Pale extract and turn this one into one of those 15-minute-boil-deals. Calculations suggest that a half ounce of warrior (subbed for magnum) and a full ounce of flavorful Falconer's Flight added at the beginning of a 15 minute boil will provide the appropriate bitterness. And the rest of the hops are left as is! Yum Yum, gimme sum!

As I noted earlier. I enjoyed Yooper's original recipe. I brewed it again (sort of). I had 8 pounds of William's Belgian Pale extract bought when it was on sale. This extract is 90% Belgian two row malt, and 10% Belgian malted wheat. So it will not have the character from the crystal malts in the original... but it also took no effort to do this 15 minute boil extract pale ale.

6 gallons of drinking water + 1/2 campden tab + 5 grams of gypsum + a vigorous boil
8 pounds Belgian Pale Liquid extract
0.5 oz Warrior (15.8%) (15 min)
1 oz Amarillo (6.9%) (15 min)
1 oz Falconer’s Flight (14.4%) (15 min)
0.5 oz Falconer’s Flight (14.4%) (1 min + 20 min Steep)
0.5 oz Amarillo (6.9%) (1 min + 20 min Steep)
0.5 oz Falconer’s Flight (14.4%) (Dry Hop)
0.5 oz Amarillo HOH (6.9%) (Dry Hop)

Beer was around 1.050 og and IBUS are calculated out to around 38. I really like the falconer's flight hops!

Bottled 10 gallons of this as written last night. 5 gallons with wyeast 1217 and 5 with 1272. Hydro samples taste very promising. Thanks OP for the recipe

Back