Avocado Mead Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I highly highly doubt it, personally, but again I'm still pretty much a noob. Yeast does go dorment when it doesnt have any more sugar to eat through...

If if the yeast is dead, and you are fairly certain it was because it fermented out and not some other issue, I'd say wait until it clears, then rack, if some more sediment falls rack again, and make sure of an over all aging of at least 6 months.

why not try making and entire guacamole themed mead, some tomatoes cilantro and lemon juice, id so no the the onions tho, probly no good in a honey based drink. just a tought anyway, if your gunnu make a wierd flavor mead might as well go all the right?

When I added more water and fuel I could clearly tell the yeast was alive.. Its not going CRAZY but it started going good, its slowly slowing down though. It smells SUPER alcoholyy though lol

Anybody I'm heading to brewmasters tomorrow and would like an idea on this. Chopps

I've been thinking the same, but I can't start any new brews until I know whether or not I am moving. In light of the geyser effect, I'd say start your ferment in a bucket.... put the avocado into a strainer bag to control mess, and I'd probably use Lalvin 71B yeast. I used it at the recommendation of a gentleman on this forum for a melomel and it is clearing fast and was very nice to work with. Hmmm... I wonder if pectic enzyme would help the clearing with avocado? It certainly seems to have helped my raspberry melomel and clementine cyser.

Lmao! This is hysterical. Yeah, I have plans to try this as well, though, I will probably start off with a 5 gallon batch and not as much proportionate avocados. I would rather use limes and cilantro and maybe some hot peppers. (I agree on the onions! Ew!) I also was reading up on the chocolate meads and would probably let it sit for at least a year though closer to three so the oils would settle out. I would have to think on the yeast that would best compliment the odd mixture. Maybe a sherry yeast with 15 lbs of honey. I know the avocado mead sounds odd, but then, tomato wine is odd, yet, gets a lot of compliments.

Tomico

BE SUUUURE TO PUT THE AVOCADOS IN THE BLENDER!!!! Make sure its a sludge that you put in or it will clog up with the cilantro and explode on you.

Really need an update on this one I want to get my 2 gal batch going and wanted to learn from others mistakes. Anyone?

Avocado honey is available this time of year up here SuperSkylar. It may add something or at least be worth a try.

Avocado honey has a very significant outcome on the flavor of the mead. It adds what I guess I would call a "spicy" character to the mead. You can definitely taste the avocado.

How is this coming along? I've never laughed so hard about a beverage in my life, and if this one comes off it might tip the scales towards "yes" on my agnosticism...

I truly don't know. It didn't really separate. So I diluted it, and put it in 2 bottles. Still hasnt helped one bit. I couldn't even re rack it really haha. If I have the heart to sip it... Idk, I will tell you guys... But most likely it will be bottled and age for a while untill I become more of a man... Lol

Wonder if fining agents would help. Did you use any pectic enzyme? I used that in my melomels, and they both cleared super fast. I added it to my cyser the day before I added yeast, I used regular unfiltered apple juice that was super cloudy. By the next morning it was nearly clear and there was over an inch of sludge on the bottom of the bottle.

Finally started mine tonight. Did a 2 gal batch recipe
6 pds el cheapo clover honey
10 med avocados
2 large tomatoes
2 limes
1 tsp yeast nutrent
And lavin e-118
I blended ever thing
Let see how it goes. Chopps

Thats one area where I went wrong.. I really should have blended it. I mean the yeast ate it up and dissolved it, but the first few weeks were grueling! I would have throw cilantro in there if I were you.

I will re do this, but this time use: Avocados (the right amount this time, you little ****s), tomatoes, limes/lemons, cilantro, maybe peppers, and possibly onions/garlic! I'll make a 5 gallon batch this time :D

Edit* Still haven't given up on the current avocado brew, just don't know what to do with it lol

I left out cilantro in my post I did add it to my mead 1/4 cut worth. So far so good its finally starting to go good I will keep u guys posted

Here's a pic of the beast

ForumRunner_20120521_165534.jpg

Well racked it. It looks smells and taste awfully. But f it I'm going to let it sit for a while to see what happens Chopps

ForumRunner_20120711_200015.jpg

LandoAllen said:
Any news on progress?

Yeah terrible progress. I threw it out about three weeks ago. I tried cold crashing one for a few weeks. The mead separated. So I was going to try both the top layer and the bottom layer to see what each tasted like. The top layer was thick like bacon fat and damn near made me throw up. After talking myself up I tried the bottom layer as soon as it touched my lips I stated throwing up. It was the worst thing I ever tasted. So my mead was a complete failure.

I'm a bit late to this party, but I have to say...

I too am new to home brewing. But I've spent the past month I've extensively been researching home brewing supplies, techniques, others recipes, starting to create my own. And will soon be making my first batch of mead.

However, I could have definitely told you that this wouldn't have worked. It was a feeling I had in my gut the whole time. There are just some flavours, and ingredients that just don't work together. This one in particular, good example. Although I have to give you credit for trying. That's worth something.

Oh, and Avocados totally have flavour. Thing is you have to let them ripen! Pretty much like any fruit or vegetable... Then they taste fantastic, and have a really creamy texture. Hell, they're just good on their own!

Brohim, I just read this thread and laughed through my nose at work. This is just the kind of mad science I respect most. What a wonderfully horrible idea, lousy in all the best ways.

I just picture you in an LA apartment wearing a WWII helmet and goggles, fighting back your new creation with a stick.

Please keep us updated, particularly once you taste it.

And by the way, this comment wins Best Comment. No question! Hahaha! It was too great!

SebastianS said:
I'm a bit late to this party, but I have to say...

I too am new to home brewing. But I've spent the past month I've extensively been researching home brewing supplies, techniques, others recipes, starting to create my own. And will soon be making my first batch of mead.

However, I could have definitely told you that this wouldn't have worked. It was a feeling I had in my gut the whole time. There are just some flavours, and ingredients that just don't work together. This one in particular, good example. Although I have to give you credit for trying. That's worth something.

Oh, and Avocados totally have flavour. Thing is you have to let them ripen! Pretty much like any fruit or vegetable... Then they taste fantastic, and have a really creamy texture. Hell, they're just good on their own!

Just because you don't think they go together doesnt make it true. What about jalapeños and beer? I've had a jalapeño cream ale and it was pretty good. Or what about onion wine? Or tomato wine? I got a buddy that makes both and they are both good. As you get more experience you will find that you will also want to brew something crazy. If you read the whole thread the reason we are using unrip avocados is because of the oil content of rip ones and the negative result that has on fermentation. That's what happened to my experiment and I have more ideas to make it right. Cheers

Resurrecting this because I'm thinking about being crazy and doing an avocado witte. I know this is the mead forum but my post is more about how to treat avocados and this is the best avocado thread on the forums.

How about an ethanol extraction? Soak avocados in high proof vodka and strain. If need be, "applejack" the extract to get out only the good stuff. Thoughts?

Hahahaha! I love this thread. Reminds me of a friend that wanted to make "Thanksgiving Mead" wherein he wanted to take turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, corn, all the traditional holiday meal stuff, blend it up and throw it in the fermenter! Ridiculous (ly awesome and hilarious) SuperSkylar, did you ever do anything with your batches? Maybe just try straining it if you can't really rack it, cold crash it, grab the liquid off the top and taste it. I must know!

Ohh, and as for bovines querie. That's how I would try to do it. Thinking that all of the flavor is in the oil.....which you want......but so are all of the fats....which you DO NOT want. Cold press and heat extraction would still leave them, so that's probably out, as would be using pure avocado extract (made by these two procedures). I am sort of doubting that just soaking them in vodka would extract enough flavor to make it through to the finished product......no idea though. I'd start off with a container, FULL of avocados, fill the cracks with vodka to cover, and wait. Mashing them first would probably work better, but straining the vodka back out would be another challenge (especially if you blended them.....maybe not though). Maybe pour into a bunch of cheesecloth, squeeze out all the liquid you can into a container, let that sit, chill it, see if anything separates. Get anything that looks oily off it. Taste it and see if there's avocado flavor. I am just making blind stabs here ??????????? Who knows, now I am gonna have to try and make this sh*t. hahaha!

After a quick google, looks like a lot of avocado/guacamole flavored drinks are milk based....which actually sounds really good. "Avocado Mead" didn't sound that good to me when I first started reading all this, and i LOVE avocado. I imagine an alcoholic avocado drink to be cloudy/milky, not clear. Anyways, I don't know anything about kefir, never even tasted it before. Is it sour/bitter like kombucha or sweet and creamy like how I want it to taste? No clue. But maybe making some sort of avocado super kefir is a route? I think I'm gonna just make some of this avocado/milk smoothie thing and turn it into a white russian-y drank. Now THAT sounds good.

Haha I love the enthusiasm. I'm also wondering if an alcohol extraction will pull out the right stuff. I was thinking that slightly underripe avocados cut into pretty small chunks would work well but who knows.

I think I might do a test batch of extract with a single avocado in a jar tonight.

After a quick google, looks like a lot of avocado/guacamole flavored drinks are milk based....which actually sounds really good. "Avocado Mead" didn't sound that good to me when I first started reading all this, and i LOVE avocado. I imagine an alcoholic avocado drink to be cloudy/milky, not clear. Anyways, I don't know anything about kefir, never even tasted it before. Is it sour/bitter like kombucha or sweet and creamy like how I want it to taste? No clue. But maybe making some sort of avocado super kefir is a route? I think I'm gonna just make some of this avocado/milk smoothie thing and turn it into a white russian-y drank. Now THAT sounds good.

For milk kefir think super tangy fermented drinkable yogurt, sour tangy, not sour rotten. You also have water kefir. I would add the avocado in secondary ferment if I ever dared try it, but I just do not see it working unless the oils do not go rancid. Someone needs to make an avocado powder, like PB2.

Back