Hops Group Buy in Chicago #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the last 6 or 7 split boxes don't fill, that is still over 350lbs of hops this buy in essentially less than 4 days after opening. Crazy!

Would we ever get to a weight where shipping freight would make sense over UPS?

From the supplier:

Bill,

There is no typical shipping cost, it will fluctuate often depending on cost of gas, the total pounds shipped, how many boxes and cost of the product.

For example:

1-44# box of Cascade via UPS Ground est. $33.87

5-44# boxes of Cascade via UPS Ground est. $149.35

1-11# box of Zythos via UPS Ground est. $15.33

4-11# in 1 master pack box of Zythos via UPS Ground est. $33.24

More than 9-44# boxes of 200/lbs we ship on a pallet, max would be 30-44# boxes or 130-11# boxes…prices due vary.

30-44# boxes via UPS Freight est. $416.30 ETA 4 business days

130-11# boxes via UPS Freight est. $479.56 ETA 4 business days

I hope this helps, please note that UPS Ground is also 4 business days.

From the supplier:

Bill,

There is no typical shipping cost, it will fluctuate often depending on cost of gas, the total pounds shipped, how many boxes and cost of the product.

For example:

1-44# box of Cascade via UPS Ground est. $33.87

5-44# boxes of Cascade via UPS Ground est. $149.35

1-11# box of Zythos via UPS Ground est. $15.33

4-11# in 1 master pack box of Zythos via UPS Ground est. $33.24

More than 9-44# boxes of 200/lbs we ship on a pallet, max would be 30-44# boxes or 130-11# boxes…prices due vary.

30-44# boxes via UPS Freight est. $416.30 ETA 4 business days

130-11# boxes via UPS Freight est. $479.56 ETA 4 business days

I hope this helps, please note that UPS Ground is also 4 business days.

Maybe I missed it, but where are we getting the hops from? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I think what I'm going to do is to have everyone pay initially just for the hops. Once they calculate shipping and they ship out I'll ask everyone to pay the shipping costs. Seems easier that way.

So if you place the order tonight, any idea when it'll arrive considering the upcoming holiday?

mragin said:
So if you place the order tonight, any idea when it'll arrive considering the upcoming holiday?

This supplier is not some online store. They are a major hops supplier in the brewing industry.

Took last pound of Columbus. All closed out. Yeah, I took one for the team :)

What am I thinking with buying 14 pounds of hops? I might be eating these things for lunch and dinner. Going to be brewing a lot of beer in the next few months. Let it snow. Who cares.....

Oh well.....great prices, how can you pass up a deal?

Thanks for everyone making this happen.

Mark

bmason1623 said:
This supplier is not some online store. They are a major hops supplier in the brewing industry.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't thinking it was an online order from Amazon or anything. I have lots of respect for what you're putting together for all of us. Just trying to plan my pickup since I'd be coming from Madison.

mragin said:
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't thinking it was an online order from Amazon or anything. I have lots of respect for what you're putting together for all of us. Just trying to plan my pickup since I'd be coming from Madison.

Didn't mean to come across as arrogant or anything; just commenting. I think it's important to note that we are getting prices on par with online hops suppliers or small breweries.

bmason1623 said:
Didn't mean to come across as arrogant or anything; just commenting. I think it's important to note that we are getting prices on par with online hops suppliers or small breweries.

This is an amazing deal. Happy to pay and hope I have worthy beer to share with you when I pick up. Only have one batch bottled right now and it's taking forever to carb up.

mragin said:
This is an amazing deal. Happy to pay and hope I have worthy beer to share with you when I pick up. Only have one batch bottled right now and it's taking forever to carb up.

There's always next time!

I just want to say thank you to those who put tons of work into this buy.

Special kudos to bmason1623 and ghoti for their extra effort.

Always appreciated!

Just reading all these posts is a lot of work let alone writing code and all the leg work. Thanks for making this happen

Also I would like to be added to the contract list. Thanks!

I think what I'm going to do is to have everyone pay initially just for the hops. Once they calculate shipping and they ship out I'll ask everyone to pay the shipping costs. Seems easier that way.

So should I pay with paypal today Bil, or do you need to get a final price first?

Go ahead and send your payments. I will adjust the shipping costs and any hops pricing that may be needed ounce I get the quote on Monday. I will note on the spreadsheet who has paid and their balance.

bmason, do we just send Paypal payment to your email address? Or is there something else we need to do?

bmason, do we just send Paypal payment to your email address? Or is there something else we need to do?

Make sure and cover the 3% PayPal fee so Bill gets the whole amount due and don't gift, they'll lock his account and cancel Thanksgiving.

If you want to pay me either in cash or check PM me. Checks will slow everything down dramatically so keep that in mind.

Go ahead and send your payments. I will adjust the shipping costs and any hops pricing that may be needed ounce I get the quote on Monday. I will note on the spreadsheet who has paid and their balance.

Are partial boxes purged already? I cant tell but it kind of looks like some of the partial boxes ie Styrian goldings are still on.

Ghoti, dont purge anything just yet. i have a friend who wants hops and i'll add them under my order.

We don't want people to pay until items are purged as they could have splits that will be removed

ghoti said:
We don't want people to pay until items are purged as they could have splits that will be removed

Good point. Sorry for jumping the gun.

I wanted to add a pound each of magnum snd tetnang but the splits are still wide open. Anybody else want to add to their order to help close out some of the splits?

Edited
Where do we find our totals?

Bill, Should we pay now or wait for you to take out the un-filled splits?

if you are a part of the hops buy and you need access to the spreadsheet send me a PM so I can invite you to the spreadsheet.

Are we dropping the remaining splits? Most aren't even close to closing out. I'm in the Perle and Tettnang and I'm fine with dropping them.

I'll PayPal later tonight or tomorrow morning, just got down from putting a roof on the Gf's garage. Are we basing the payment off the ordering site totals and then again when shipping costs are finalized?

I'll PayPal later tonight or tomorrow morning, just got down from putting a roof on the Gf's garage. Are we basing the payment off the ordering site totals and then again when shipping costs are finalized?

I'd hold off to make sure none of your hops get dropped.

What about the possibility that some of our hops won't even be available when you place the order? I am in on the Simcoe, but skeptical that it will still be around on Monday...Should we wait to pay until you actually place the order Bill?

Ok, we have 11 pounds of Simcoe that is available that needs to be closed so we have the full 88 pounds. Is there anybody that want to pickup more? Just PM me and it will be first come first serve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back