New Keezer Build noob questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maseline_98

Reaction score
I'm trying to do a new keezer build and want 3 tap system I've decide on the freezer(13 cubic ft Fridgedeer.) that will run through the wall of my garage.

I'm going to be putting a 1/2 of miller lite, 1/4 slim from a local micro brewery, and 1/6 of something else. I do not plan(at least yet) to be brewing anything for myself. I sized the inside of the freezer at lowes and they will fit.

I called the brewery and they said they use a ball-lock style fitting, also called "American Sanke". I'm not certain what I need for this.

I was looking at these:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=413
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=411

I was wasn't sure which one I needed. I was reading on here that 10-15' lines might be better, but I didn't know if that was opinion or fact.

Would it be cheaper to buy the parts separately?

I wanted to put a digital thermostat on the outside(preferrably on the tap side of the wall, but if I cannot do that, then I would use the collar), but have no idea where to buy one of those and how it can read the temp of inside the freezer. How does connection work so the thermostat shut off the freezer?

Does it matter what size Co2 tank I use? Should I stick with 5gallon or go with something larger?

Couple issues I see for you:
1. I hope you are not planning on a chest style freezer for this build. A 1/2 Bbl is EXTREMELY heavy... you will have a very difficult time getting it into the freezer.
2. Not sure what your local brewery means by ball lock, aka American Sanke. They are two different types of fittings. The Miller will use a sanke fitting though and the 1/4 bbl will use a sanke. Double check with your brewery if they are using a 1/6 sanke keg or are they using the old Pepsi soda kegs (which are ball locks, not sanke).
3. The temperature for your digital thermostat will be read via a probe. The connection to shut off the freezer is usually just an extention cord plug- the thermostat really only disconnects power to the freezer (you plug the freezer into the temp controller and the temp controller plugs into the wall.) You will likely have to wire the extenstion cord ends into the thermostat though.
You can get away with as small as a 5lb tank. You should be able to serve several kegs from that.

Well...I got everything setup for the keezer...I have one more question that I couldn't find the answer to:

What settings do people use for stc1000 for the keezer build?

Temp? Delay?

You could set the temp to whatever serving temp you like. Cellar temp is in the mid to low 40sF I believe. Most fridges are set to around 33-38 F and with out freezing you can usually store beer down to about 28F. I keep mine at 40F.

For the delay I'd give it a good 5-10 minutes to prevent any possible overworking of the compressor.

Keep mine at 39*F and have the delay at 5 minutes not to over work the compressor it just prevent the compressor from starting up with a high head pressure (i.e. if power is interrupted the compressor can't restart for 5 minutes which will allow the pressures between the high and low sides to equalize) so the compressor do not have to draw more amps to start then it has to.

I got everything up and running...Thank you for everybody that has helped in the process...I really appreciated it and the beer is flowing!!!!

Back