250th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemoose

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Our town has a 250th anniversary coming up in about 2 years. Just got to thinking about brewing something for that now. I am an IPA kind of guy, and typically don't cellar beers, but for this I will make an exception. I am ready to take some suggestions.
I don't have much experience with really big beers, so let me know what you think would work, and some examples of the type I should make that I could pick up to try.

Thanks

i'm a huge fan of lambics. so if i were going to condition something for that long, it would be a lambic. or maybe an old ale. or a nice cognac barleywine! lol, the world is yours at this point!

+1 on a lambic or some other sour beer assuming you like a good sour. Barleywine would be my second choice for an aged beer. Definitely don't age an IPA for two years...at least not with the expectation that it's going to taste like an IPA.

I'm listening.

I'm with Revvy, man. Try doing some research into what was traditionally brewed in your area during colonial times. That's what I'd do. I'm a history nut, and I love beer. I know that there was a lot of home and public house brewing going on in NE at that time As for styles, I'm not sure but I know that the research alone would be fascinating to me.

Yea, definately a neat idea. And it sounds fun to research, too!

here's an idea...

Bourbon Oaked IPA. I just had a few pints at Central City Brewing in Surrey, BC and they were phenomenal! I heard they store them in old bourbon barrels to get the flavour. No idea on the recipe though, although I'm looking into it.

Good point, Revvy. They did alot of cider and graff type brews back then. The barrel would add great fall character. Maybe since Mr' Moose has so much time to do this, some bugs to give it the true farmhouse character that something like that surely would've developed if aged.

Heckler, I like your idea too. Records show that export pale ale (aka IPA, India ale, etc.) was popular here during the late 18th and 19th century. Some even used American hops that were brought back on the ships that delivered the beer from England. I'm willing to bet brewers here in the colonies/states brewed their own versions.

bluemoose said:
I am currently considering a Sam Adams Utopia Clone. I will be researching some historical beers. No one said I can only brew one!

Nice! I remember reading through a pretty detailed thread on here about brewing a Utopia clone. I didnt bookmark it but I think it was at least a year ago if that helps. Good luck with it!

Update:

Checked gravity last night and I was down to about 1.050. With the amount of co2 in suspension, I suspect it is a bit lower than that. It is still creeping along.

I have 1/2 a pound of oak chips soaking in alcohol right now. Once primary is finished they will go in. I decided to soak them in the following:

Makers Mark
Cognac
Port wine
Jack Daniels

I hope to be able to transfer this into a carboy in ther next month or so and set it away for about a years nap.

Blue Moose- did you soak the oak chips seperately in different jars of alcohol or did you throw them all in one jar?

geer537 said:
Blue Moose- did you soak the oak chips seperately in different jars of alcohol or did you throw them all in one jar?

Different jars. Not sure if I will add all at once or do it in stages. I'm not sure I want it on the port as long as the cognac.

Damn good call. I read through all 40 some odd pages and now am really considering this one. On the fence because its a pricey and long term endeavor that I am not sure a 3 yr old AG brewer can pull off. I'm willing to give it a go but need a bit to work up the nerve. You've inspired me. Keep us updated.

18.4% abv. Down to 1.040 and slowing significantly. I'm wondering if the ec1118 will take it down any further or if I would do better to brew a beer with the 099, and transfer at high krausen. Concern on either is lack of o2 in the wort at this point. If I could squeeze another .02 I would be pretty happy.

I spoke to an old wine maker and his words (not mine):

'Oh hell- I seen EC1118 chew through some of the most stuck ferments out there. That s#!+ will tear through anything'

He wasn;t refering to this particular brew- just a general statement. He works for a champagne house now and has been in the industry for years. He could have just been drunk too...

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

That is good to hear, Geer. I have some EC1118 on the way. My only concern is that I have already hit 18+%. EC1118 is supposed to go up to 18 We will see. Planning to pitch 2-3 packets.

Are you aerating throughout fermentation? I think I read in the U1 Clone thread that they were doing it but it is counter to what I have read. Thought you aren't supposed to introduce oxygen after fermentation.

If you followed PTN's recipe, and fermented the yeast within it's range, it will go as far as it can (WLP099 is a monster yeast). Which is way beyond what EC-1118 is capable of.

geer537 said:
Are you aerating throughout fermentation? I think I read in the U1 Clone thread that they were doing it but it is counter to what I have read. Thought you aren't supposed to introduce oxygen after fermentation.

I hit it with o2 for the first 4 days. I also started with 2 gallons of wort and slowly added the remainder with the maple syrup over the next couple of weeks. I hit those with o2 before they went in. I haven't used o2 since those additions.

Golddiggie said:
If you followed PTN's recipe, and fermented the yeast within it's range, it will go as far as it can (WLP099 is a monster yeast). Which is way beyond what EC-1118 is capable of.

Right, but I think the reason for ec1118 is to eat some of the stuff the 099 can't digest. From what I understand it works a bit better on the more complex stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Right, but I think the reason for ec1118 is to eat some of the stuff the 099 can't digest. From what I understand it works a bit better on the more complex stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I've been told, by White Labs brains, EC-1118 won't do more than WLP099 will. You might want send out an email to them (start with one via their site's tool) and find out the best way to work the yeast.

I have an English Barleywine in fermenter right now. I've been keeping it under 62F from the start (in the upper 50's to 60F most of the time). Started on 10/27 and it's STILL going. :eek: I've not taken a gravity reading since the start, so I don't know where it's at yet. But, since the target is 15%+ I'm just letting it ride. I just hope it doesn't go too far and I'm left with something as dry as the Sahara. I'm also about to get going on my batch of mead that will push the tolerance of WLP099. Just need to get the honey warmed up enough to be easier to mix/pour. :D

I have exhausted the ec-1118. Currently building a starter with about 700B cells of WLP099. Intend to pitch that over the weekend if possible and finish this thing off.

Just tried this for the first time in months. It tastes great, but finished a bit sweet. Final gravity was about 6 points higher than I had hoped. Debating what to do now. Taste is good, but can I get rid of a bit of sweetness without ruining it?

Latest posts

Back