i posted in recipes but maybe someone here can help I AM A NEWBIE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tielson's

Reaction score
I received this recipe for a pumpkin spice brew, but you see I am brand new this will be my second batch. The first one I did was a home brew kit which turned out all right, but my buddy and I want to try something that’s not in a box, and experiment a bit.

Ingredients:
• 6-10 pounds of pumpkin
• 1 pound of Vienna malt, 4L
• ½ pound crystal malt, 40L
• ½ pound malted wheat
• 6 pounds light or amber malt extract
• 1 cup brown suger (optional)
• ½ cup molasses (optional)
• 1 ounce Mt. Hood hops (boiling)
• ½ ounce Hallertauer hops (finishing)
• ½ teaspoon vanilla
• ½ to 1 teaspon pumpkin pie spices (see below)
• Wyeast 1056, American Ale
Directions:
The first thing to say is do not use canned pumpkin! Real pumpkin is the only way to go here, otherwise you'll be dealing with a huge mess. You've been warned.
You'll first need to roast the pumpkin in the oven, similar to cooking squash. This softens the pumpkin and begins breaking it down. Cut the pumpkin into manageable pieces (should be cleaned, of course—old jack-o'lanterns work great), place in a shallow baking pan and add a bit of water to the pan. Roast in a 325°-ish oven for about an hour, or until soft. Or check a cookbook :).

My question is how do I know when to boil the hops and add in all the other stuff? In the do it yourself kit it gives you a step by step direction. Can anyone help me with this please?

Given your recipe here's what I would do:
I'm assuming that you do partial boils where you only boil around 2 gallons of water and add it to 3 gallons of water in the carboy. Put a gallon of water in a pot and raise the temperature to 150 degrees. Add your steeping grains (Vienna, Crystal, & wheat) and let sit for 30 minutes. Sparge the grains with a gallon of water. Remove the grains and add your malt, pumpkin, brown sugar, molasses, and boiling hops. Bring all that to a boil. Boil for 45 minutes and then add the pumpkin spice. Boil for another 13 minutes and add the vanilla and finishing hops. Boil those for another 2 minutes and then remove the pot from the heat. Cool down the wort and add to the water in the fermenter. Add the yeast when the temperature gets down to around 70 degrees and ferment.

Good luck with the recipe. It sounds good.

I used canned pumpkin in mine and it scored a 35.5 in the first round of the AHA's national home brew competition. I read that cammed is better because it is more consistent and it is easier to work with. You can spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it if you like. I just added mine straight to the boil.
Good luck. :mug:

First, let me apologize for taking a negative tone in the other post.
dmorris' advice looks good. Dont forget to take lots of notes and good luck!

Back