Dry Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy915

Reaction score
I recently bottled 6 gallons of a pale ale. dry hopped it with 2 oz of cascade. I have another 6 gallons ready to be dry hopped with cascade also. They are basically the same recipe just different crystal malt. Any problems with me just racking to the same secondary with the 2 oz of used cascade hops? I would also add fresh ones when racking. Thanks for your responses.:mug:

I'd just clean the secondary and not try to use the old hops ... they are probably useless at this point anyway ... I wouldn't risk using the dirty secondary for a second beer ... it only takes a few minutes to clean it IMHO.

Clean it up and use fresh hops. You spent all that time carefully crafting that. Eer on brew day, don't take a chance ruining it now by cutting corners...know what I mean?

hops that have been exposed to beer for a long time start to break down and can impart a grassy taste. i wouldn't risk a (grassy) off-flavor for the sake of... of what, exactly? are you hoping that the used hops will impart additional flavor? they probably won't, they're used up at this point. maybe you want to save yourself the effort of cleaning the carboy? like others have suggested, after all that effort that you've put inro the batch so far isn't it worth another 15-20 minutes of cleaning?

Back