Gizzards and hearts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnFrum1978

Reaction score
Anyone else like gizzards and hearts?

I first had them on a trip to Russia. I rediscovered them lately and can't get enough of them. I have some cooking right now on the grill yakitori style. I've had them marinating for 2 days in a korean style barbeque marinade I found back in these threads. I tweeked it a little.

For 1 pound of meat:
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sambal oolek
2 tablespoons jack daniels
3 cloves garlic
1/2 inch fresh grated ginger
A dash of liquid smoke

Marinate the meat for a day or two (they're tough so they'll need some tenderizing) , string them up on some skewers, and grill them for three or four minutes per side.

They'll be up in a few minutes.

I love scrapple. My local grocery store here in Cali has it sometimes so when its in stock I usually buy it all. A buddy I used to work with originally from Pennsylvania turned me on to it, he said Rapa is best but I have never tasted that brand.

Back to the gizzards and hearts, I've only had them braised or breaded and deep fried but that marinade and grilling them up sounds bomb. Going to have to try it out

Ryan

I like hearts & gizzards chopped with onion and/or garlic & stir-fried with sesame oil; sometimes I'll add diced beets & a splash of porter. I season 'em with a little sage & a dash of soy sauce. It's tasty over rice or noodles, or with steamed veggies. Regards, GF.

Back