Best craft beer bars near Carlsbad, CA ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertvrabel

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Carlsbad, CA for 2-3 days for a conference then heading down to san diego for a week. I already know where to go in San Diego... but can anyone recommend a few places I could grab some CA craft beers at?

I notice Pizza Port is close, so I'll stop there. I'll specifically be at the http://www.carlsbadinn.com so if there is something super close within walking distance that'd be great!

I was going to say Pizza Port for sure,

Also a good tool to have is www.beermapping.com they have a app you can put on your phone too and will tell you what is around you with gps I believe, if you have a smart phone

Awesome, i'll check that site out. I do have a smart phone so i'll check the app out.. hopefully its free ;)

Stone is in Escondido about a 20 - 25 minute drive from the Carlsbad Inn. Pizza Port rocks ( I use to work there ages ago) and is stumbling distance from the Carlsbad Inn. There is also "Iron Fist" Brewing company in San Marcos which is about 15 minutes away. In Oceanside about 3-4 miles north there is "Breakwater Brewery" as well.

There is 2 decent pubs close to Pizza port as well. Hennesey's and Giblins (although they changed the name but ask anyone and they will tell you where it is) no craft beers but decent food. The Carlsbad Inn is pretty much on the coast in downtown Carlsbad so you have plenty of choices of bars to go to within walking distance, they dont call it the "Carlsbad crawl" for nothing

Also the Carlsbad Inn has a attached mexican restraunt to it as well. Good Margi's if your into those. Any questions let me know I grew up in Carlsbad. Have fun!

I get down to that area a few times a year and always make sure to hit Pizza Port. Great pizza and a nice selection of good beers. Not to sure of any others, but definitely try to make the short drive to Stone! I would also highly recommend Ballast Point, although that is a bit further down into SD.

Yep can't pass up Pizza Port, they have their own beer and other beer and great food, why go anywhere else? :D If you wanted to hit some of the breweries and have a half day you can easily get to Port/Lost Abbey, Iron Fist, Green Flash, and even Stone.

Oh btw, I usually stay at the Carlsbad Inn and would recommend Norte Mexican restaurant. Its the one right on the hotel property. I can't remember their beer selection, but good food.

I'm heading there for my birthday and planning on hitting up all the breweries mentioned. Pizza Port, Stone, Lost Abbey, and Green Flash.

+1 to all the breweries listed

Churchhill's Pub and Grille in San Marcos is a fantastic pub with great beer selection and great food to boot.

And, right across the street from the Inn is a tiny little mexican food restaurant called Cessy's Taco Shop. Great lush rush food!

If you can swing down to Mira Mesa, stop in at Callahan's:

http://www.callahanspub.com/our-beer-2/on-tap

and Ale Smith is just up the road a bit from Callahan's:

http://alesmith.com/

Ugh, sorry but no, do NOT stop in at Callahan's. Their beer always has a weird after taste, leading me to believe they don't clean their lines often/well. Their house beer isn't exactly anything great, beer lines aside. The food is OK, but just general bar food and nothing to be impressed by. Same goes the the San Diego Brewing Co, which is owned by the same people.

Now Alesmith, they're worth a visit.

Back