Q's for Faucet Mounting on a Fridge-Kegerators.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few questions for you guys with Fridge Kegerators.

1. How many of you have the faucets mounted in the door or on the side of your fridge?
  2. If so, why did you decide the door or side panel?
  3. Did you buy shanks with nipples or the type that need tail-pieces?
  4. How did you punch the hole in the door? (What tools are needed?)
  5. Where did you put your gas bottle? (Inside or outside)
  6. Would you do something different? (Mistakes to avoid if you had to do it again.)
Thanks for your feedback!! :mug:

1. When I had a fridge-kegerator, I went with door mount.

2. Easier for the n00b I was. Never got in the way of kegs.

3. I went with nippes already on. In retrospect, I would have ponied up the extra cash and gone with tail piece. I'd have been able to clean the shank out and have more reusability. I just recently sold my nipple shanks off and replaced them with tailpiece.

4. Used a 5/8"(?) hole saw and a pencil.

5. Inside since I had a 5lb. Was a pain to mount so that the tops of the kegs fit right below the regulators and didn't get in the way. It actually rested against the temperature adjuster.

6. a. See the above.

b. One VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember is, if possible, seal the bottom of the your kegerator. I had a leak in one keg due to forgotten washer. Beer seeped underneath the rivets/washers in the bottom and some pretty nasty stuff grew in there. Worse, I didn't notice any of it(Due to it always being cold and upright) till moving day. I managed to clean it up, but it never work as well and eventuall died.

c. Get perlicks.

d. Get a used fridge. The worst part of part a. was that the shiner logo the SWMBO had painted on the freezer top door had to be taken off when I threw away the fridge. I wasn't weeping over the $100 I had spent on it and gotten use out of for 1.5 years.

1. How many of you have the faucets mounted in the door or on the side of your fridge?
  2. If so, why did you decide the door or side panel?
  3. Did you buy shanks with nipples or the type that need tail-pieces?
  4. How did you punch the hole in the door? (What tools are needed?)
  5. Where did you put your gas bottle? (Inside or outside)
  6. Would you do something different? (Mistakes to avoid if you had to do it again.)

1 Me Do Front!
2. Accessibility for me.
3. Shanks.
4. Smith & Wesson .45ACP - no just kidding, a hole saw.
5. Inside.
6. Yes. I have a freezer(top)/fridge bottom. Make sure that the position is low enough that your tap handles don't get tripped when SWMBO gets something out of the freezer.

1. [1]How many of you have the faucets mounted in the door or on the side of your fridge?
    [2]If so, why did you decide the door or side panel?
    [3]Did you buy shanks with nipples or the type that need tail-pieces?
    [4]How did you punch the hole in the door? (What tools are needed?)
    [5]Where did you put your gas bottle? (Inside or outside)
    [6]Would you do something different? (Mistakes to avoid if you had to do it again.)

1: Door
2: There are no cooling lines in the door.
3: 4" Stainless Steel Faucet Shank :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
4:Dwos 1-3/4" Hole Saw (409-31124)
5: In the back corner, bungi'd to the shelf rails. (Pic in my gallery)
6: I would do a keezer with colar if i had it to do again.

Back