300 IBUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMetroka

Reaction score
Just went to my lhbs here in Tampa for a few things, nice shop,
Southern Brewing and Wine Making, they brew and serve on premises. I tried their 300 ibu IPA in a snifter...
Exquisite!!!!!
I am told this is only achievable by the home brewer using hop extract.
Good stuff.

Nateo said:
Unless they had a lab analyze it, I don't believe 300 IBU is possible.

It could certainly be a calculated 300 ibus, but there is no way in hell it actually is.

It's just like Mikeller's 1000 ibus. Marketing flash without facts to back it up.

42oz of bittering hops in a 10 gal batch calculated to 542.3 IBU's in one of my beers. I think it only tested out to be 220-something at a local brewery/lab- hop oil & acid extraction begin to progressively decline after about 85 IBU's.

You can use hop extract, but it has very little character, other than grass and bitter.

I heard the podcast with Chris from WhiteLabs discussing their IBU testing, saying one of Mikkeller beers was the highest he's tested, and it is rare to see one over 100IBUS.

odinsgift said:
I heard the podcast with Chris from WhiteLabs discussing their IBU testing, saying one of Mikkeller beers was the highest he's tested, and it is rare to see one over 100IBUS.

Yeah, Mikkeller used a bunch of extract in addition to a ton of hops. I read that it tested to 460 or so actual IBU's, though I'm not certain of that validity.

Whoa everyone.

Maybe it's 80 IBU's maybe it's 300 IBU's.

The man said it was "Exquisite!!!!!"

I'll take a fellow brewers word for it, and call it a good beer.

Back