Urgent Sanitation question.. help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbram

Reaction score
So I got a little lazy after racking a batch of mild and rinsed, but didn't sanitize one of my primaries after racking out of it. I had a bit of mold growing in it ( not too bad, but still hate the thought of it). I did a very vigorous hot water wash last night, and then hit it with Diversol (chlorine based sanitizer)overnight and I'm letting it soak full of StarSan all day today. It seems clean but still had a little bit of a funkyness to it as of this morning. Should I be worried? I'm pretty sure nothing could be alive after diversol and starsan, but does anyone think the funky smell in it could negatively affect beer flavour? I'm planning on fermenting a 109 IBU Double IPA in it starting tonight, with some dry hopping. Do I need to worry?

My primary bucket has been in use for a couple years now..and even after being sanitized it still smells like death..but I've had no adverse effects or off flavors to date..I think you will be fine

you can also soak your primary in pbw and hot water for some hours (or pbw and water overnight) to eliminate the smells.

pbw? Peanut Butter Water? What?

Just kidding. I don't have any and can't get it from my LHBS. Is there anything that makes a good substitute?

I will keep that in mind for next time. Back to the question at hand though, Do you think the fermentor is ok to use tonight after Diversol and StarSan treatments, or would it be better to put that batch off until tomorrow? I had planned to make 2 batches tonight.

As long as your primary is free of any scratches or dings you should be in the clear. You did a number on the baddies with that sanitation process.
Brew without worry :mug:

Oxicleen free is the same thing as PBW.

This has worked for me in every case of lingering smells on brewing equipment. Old soda kegs included.

ajbram I would definitely try this if you can get some from a local store. Note that OxyClean Free is the one without added dyes or fragrance.

Back