first brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well noobie here with 10min left on the mash and getting ready to fly sparge. Irish stout. Really having fun and getting the looks from SWMBO . Me thinks it wonderment and questioning what the heck I'm doing.... so far so good. My temp was hit and stayed through so far.
Getting ready for the next steps.

Well noobie here with 10min left on the mash and getting ready to fly sparge. Irish stout. Really having fun and getting the looks from SWMBO . Me thinks it wonderment and questioning what the heck I'm doing.... so far so good. My temp was hit and stayed through so far.
Getting ready for the next steps.

Good Luck and Just relax.

You're a noob and you fly sparge? Did you inherit some equipment? Don't reply till you're finished brewing! Focus, have fun.

Fly sparging seems like an advanced technique to me. Moderately experienced, but I still batch sparge. I get great efficiency that way, and see no reason to fly sparge.

I'm not trying to knock your system; I'm just wondering what lead you to the fly sparging. I'm kind of curious.

Also, yes. People will look at you like you're a sorcerer when you brew. In these modern times it's a complete mystery to most people.

Well the wort tasted amazing ! Got it in the fermenter and doing the foil for the first day it two.
The mash smelled really bready but the first hop addition really opened up a lot of smells. Can't wait to try the final.
I hit mash temps. Boil temps with additions and cold break in 15 min with an ice bath. of is right on Target 1.0421
Now its time to clean up. Thanks to all that post as it has helped me alot!

I'll have to get pictures uploaded.

Super suprized to have all the head space full of kraeusen. Makes me want to do the happy dance as I feel like I have pased another good mark. Ferm tem is 62-63ish which i was worried was a little low but I think I will go with it.

Also figured I would make some spent grain doggie cookies. my beagle is really enjoying them.

Got some pictures to share.
IMAG0155.jpg
IMAG0154.jpg
IMAG0157.jpg
IMAG0158.jpg
IMAG0160.jpg
IMAG0162.jpg
IMAG0163.jpg

oh and the album can be seen here

Congrats! I am impressed, I think you are already as advanced as most multi-year brewers. Keep it up and keep the excitement!

Well day 13 did a gravity which was 1.010 which seems really good.
Recipie has fg listed as 1.014-1.012
Any worries of leaving in primary for more time or is it worth bottling up?
Also tasted the sample and its almost dead on Guiness.

OK - so week 3ish in bottles. Taste is amazing !

What I learned...
- never hurts to check your gear. my NEW probe thermo shows 10-degrees higher than actual.

- Have a plan - take your time adn relax
- next time I WILL strain the wort going into the fermenter

- I was suprized how easy it was catching trub off the bottom.
- I did freak out about bottle bombs and feel kind of silly with beer in a box in a bag :)

Next up IPA - hooked on the all grain process.
Batch of skeeter pee ready to bottle
cheers

Congrats, Mux. Keep us updated.

I started at a much easier pace, but I hope to get where you already are in, oh, a few months. :p

Congrats! That's a ballsy move doing all-grain for your first batch ever!

I will be doing my first all-grain batch Memorial Day weekend....after doing extract for about a year....I am stoked! :ban:

Let us know how it turns out once it is carbed.

Back