Scotch Ale Initial Fermentation over 75F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slvrmon92

Reaction score
Hey this is my second batch of beer. The first being a IPA that is still in secondary.

I pitched yeast everything fine.

So this is a strong scotch Ale . OG @ 1.090. Wee Heavy Almost.

Next morning nice bubbles (12 hours). First blow off at about 3:00pm (18 hours). Fermentation nice and cool around 68f. Same for when I went to bed. Woke up yesterday morning(36 hours) and bubbling was slowed and temp was up to around 77F. :mad: Opened the window and it still stayed a little above 75.

Please help. What should I do next? It is only been 2 days. Did I kill the yeast? Can I pitch more yeast?

You can place a wet towel around the carboy and if you have a fan that will help also. Bring the temp down 3-5 degrees. I would wait to see where the FG goes too before pitching more how much did you pitch ing the first place??

Did you make a starter? IF you pitched one packet or no starter it was under pitched anyway so . . . . Might be a good idea. Others might chime in.

No I did not use a starter. I used dry yeast. 1 packet safale s-33. It is back down around 68F but not a lot of activity going on.

Your fine, well mostly. One package is under pitching for such a big beer. Two packs of yeast would have been better.

68F is not cool. In the future try to start cooler in the low 60's so that the peak temp is below 70. Temps above 75F will not hurt the yeast but will cause some off flavors in the beer. I expect you will have a harsh alcohol flavor. It may fade with time but it could take years in such a strong beer. You could also have some funky ester flavors like bubble gum or fruit loops.

Under pitching could lead to under attenuation, especially with a big malty beer. It will be overly sweet.

However, it will be beer and it will be drinkable. Enjoy!

I would not worry. My last 2 batches never bubbled; my current batch bubbled for two days and stopped. The non-bubblers got down to 1.012 FG and tasted fabulous and I'm sure my current batch will do the same.

Let us know how it turned out--I'm thinking about an 80 or 90 Scotch Ale in a few weeks and was wondering about pitching quantities.

Latest posts

Back