New Retail Programmable Thermostat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruprect

Reaction score
Hey all!

I've mentioned this project before on this site, but it's been quite awhile and the project has migrated some since then.

I am an electrical engineer and had an idea last year to design/build a programmable thermostat to control a fermentation device. It turned out really well and I decided to give it a name, make a business around the idea (Ohmbrew Automations) and go into production with them. Since then, I've currently built a dozen units of the 'Fermostat' and have sold them to a group of local early adopters to refine the device before I go into a larger scale production with them.

Basically, the retail version will be a programmable, dual-stage thermostat for a fermentation device or even just controlling your kegerator/keezer. It has the ability for the user to create and store a program (or several) that creates a temperature profile for your chamber. This is especially useful for when fermenting a lager where you have to slowly lower the temperature after brewing to the ferment temperature, then slowly increase the temperature over time to do a diacelyl rest, then again lower the temperature to lager the brew. With the Fermostat, you can create this program (or use one of the pre-set ones). Running this program will take care of the whole process from start to finish without any user interaction required.

The Fermostat also allows you to maneuver around within a program. For instance, you want to skip the first couple steps and want to go straight to the diacetyl rest section of the program, you are able to do that. It also allows you to move around within a particular stage, for instance if you want to start on day 3 of the 14 day fermentation stage, it will allow you to easily do that within the menu.

I think I'm going to start a Kickstarter campaign for it in the next month or two which will allow me to pre-sell some of the devices and get the word out there.

I've got some more information about it on my website at www.ohmbrewautomations.com if you are interested. Be sure and stop by and check it out. There are a few videos that show it in action on the support page too.

Let me know what you think! Feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected] too.

This cool! I am away from my fermentors usually about 13 hours a day because of my commute/work and having program to take care of different ramp-up / downs would be nice!

A few questions
1) Would the program be able to accommodate free rise? I currently have STC-1000 dual controller, but when I set to a differential of 1* Celsius I can't really let a ferment free rise 3-4 degrees. I guess the program could be handled to increment the temp every few hours. But with something automated I think it would be a nice feature to say after 48 hours allow it to rise 3* before you start again
2) would there be a capability to connect this to a local network via wired, or wireless so the user could monitor/adjust the program remotely

A few questions
1) Would the program be able to accommodate free rise? I currently have STC-1000 dual controller, but when I set to a differential of 1* Celsius I can't really let a ferment free rise 3-4 degrees. I guess the program could be handled to increment the temp every few hours. But with something automated I think it would be a nice feature to say after 48 hours allow it to rise 3* before you start again
2) would there be a capability to connect this to a local network via wired, or wireless so the user could monitor/adjust the program remotely

1) Yes, you can set the rise temperature to whatever rate you wish. The way it works now is you set the temperature difference and the time it takes to get to that difference. So if you set the rate correctly, it can free rise to whatever you want it to be, then continue the program from there.
Hopefully that answers your question.

2) The first version of the Fermostat doesn't have the functionality to be networked. But I do plan on creating a 'Pro' version of the device (probably next year), that will have greater functionality, including a wireless network connection (either bluetooth or WiFi)

1) Yes, you can set the rise temperature to whatever rate you wish. The way it works now is you set the temperature difference and the time it takes to get to that difference. So if you set the rate correctly, it can free rise to whatever you want it to be, then continue the program from there.
Hopefully that answers your question.

2) The first version of the Fermostat doesn't have the functionality to be networked. But I do plan on creating a 'Pro' version of the device (probably next year), that will have greater functionality, including a wireless network connection (either bluetooth or WiFi)

This is very cool and should sell like hot cakes. I love my STC-1000 controlled ferm units but I'd love to have the ability for the controller to make the necessary incremental adjustments on certain beers.
If you develop a WIFI version that has a user friendly GUI you won't be able to make them fast enough.
Any idea what the cost will be?

I just wanted to give a quick update on my Fermostat project. I've made some significant upgrades since I started working on this. The biggest update I've added recently is that it will have an SD Card slot to allow for data logging and external program creation. I hope to have a website up for it too where people can swap programs.

My ULTIMATE goal is to have a set of programs listed by the brand and variety of yeast you are using.

I have some more news I'm not permitted to discuss here. Check out the website:
ohmbrewautomations.com

Here's a pic of the latest version:

KSCover_notxt.png

Just Curious, Are You Keith? AB PMBP's STL
CVB Here If So
Looks Nice Have To Take a Further Look Into You Product, Thanks

Sounds like a nice product...I will put this on the back of my mind for when I get to the fermentation part of my brewery overhaul.

Just a few more days left on the Kickstarter for this project! Now's the time if you're interested!

Just wanted to send out a quick reply to this post to anyone who has been following along. The Fermostat is getting very close retail completion. I have them up for pre-sale on my website for $124, which is a discount of 20% below the retail price. The plan is to start shipping later this month.

http://buy.ohmbrewautomations.com

Thanks!

Looks like an awesome product, and considering a wired Ranco dual stage controller is $150 from morebeer it is a steal!
Good luck.
Just one quick question, are those plug sockets for IEC14 plugs? If so will a standard fridge need to have a new plug put on it to fit to the unit?

Thanks!
Yes they are IEC320 C14 sockets. However, the Fermostat ships with two power cords that plug into the C14 sockets and have a normal 15-5R receptacle on the other end, so it is the same as plugging in your fridge/heater into the wall.

I did this to allow for multiple power adapter standards for different countries. This way a new cord will allow it to work in a different country.

Thanks!
Yes they are IEC320 C14 sockets. However, the Fermostat ships with two power cords that plug into the C14 sockets and have a normal 15-5R receptacle on the other end, so it is the same as plugging in your fridge/heater into the wall.

I did this to allow for multiple power adapter standards for different countries. This way a new cord will allow it to work in a different country.

There is a method to the madness :D Good idea to make an international product! No issues with 120V / 240V?

Just wanted to send out another update to this thread for those that are following. The Fermostat is now in production and shipping immediately. All of the Kickstarter and Pre-Sale orders have been fulfilled and units are in stock.

If you unfamiliar, the Fermostat is a dual-stage programmable thermostat designed for automating the temperature profile of your fermentation process. It is capable of controlling up to 10 Amps (nominal, it can handle a higher in-rush current) per output. The Fermostat also contains a microSD Card slot to download historical temperature and control data to view on a computer. The SD Card slot also allows you to upload programs instead of creating them through the interface. A website to do these functions will be released in a week or two to create, store and share your programs.

The Fermostat is priced at or below the price you can get a Ranco dual-stage controller yet has considerably more functionality.

Here's a link if you want some more information about it:
http://ohmbrewautomations.com

Fermostat_web3.jpg

I received mine and have used it for a lager and a couple of ales. The lager setting is a set and forget. Sets the ferm. temp, automatically raises to the diacety rest then drops to the lager temp. All done without any intervention on my part.

I have watched the temp variation and it runs about .3 degrees which is excellent. I also tested the temps against my calibrated thermometer and it was dead on.

I have no affiliation with this product other than being a happy customer but would definitely recommend the Ohmbrew. Simple, accurate and truly set and forget.

Digging up an older thread but I wanted to put my 2 cents in regarding my newly acquired Fermostat. I couldn't be happier. Sure its new and is still being updated but 9 days of fermenting in a keezer and the temps and unit have been rock solid.
I've posted a few times on the forum and caleb has replied quickly and helpfully.
The only very small kink is the SD card is hard to seat. Not a biggie for me.
I'm looking forward to many years of use and also look forward to what else might be in store as new firmware is introduced.

I love these kick starter ideas that are creating some awesome gadgets. I just wished there was one gadget that did everything combined. My Suggestion for you Ruprect in the Pro version you come out with or some future version is to incorporate a digital hydrometer/gravity sensor into a device that goes into a rubber stopper that connects to the main unit so not only can you control and record temp data but also a continual gravity measurement. Basically your unit and the BeerBugs product. If you were to make this product it would surely be what every home brewer ever wanted.

I love these kick starter ideas that are creating some awesome gadgets. I just wished there was one gadget that did everything combined. My Suggestion for you Ruprect in the Pro version you come out with or some future version is to incorporate a digital hydrometer/gravity sensor into a device that goes into a rubber stopper that connects to the main unit so not only can you control and record temp data but also a continual gravity measurement. Basically your unit and the BeerBugs product. If you were to make this product it would surely be what every home brewer ever wanted.

Good call, especially if you could then program temp rises to coordinate with % attenuated

I just bought one yesterday... I am excited as it is my first use of a temp controller and I JUST bought a 10.0 cu/ft freezer to go with it! What do you guys use for heating? I am hoping to fit 4 fermenters in there but then I would have to brew 2 similar style brews back to back to use the temp programs.

I just ordered this for my first Pils. Looking forward to the results. I will let you know how it turns out.

Ok.. Can someone help me with the Ohmbrew? I am trying to set the clock but there does not seem to be a way to set it. I enter the clock mode and it shows the time and date but there isnt anything to select so I can change it. Using the wheel does nothing and pushing the one button it has, brings you to the last screen!

Anyone using this that may have some insight?

Thanks

I just bought one yesterday... I am excited as it is my first use of a temp controller and I JUST bought a 10.0 cu/ft freezer to go with it! What do you guys use for heating? I am hoping to fit 4 fermenters in there but then I would have to brew 2 similar style brews back to back to use the temp programs.

Lelais, I use a heat wrap that i bought from more beer, but here is a cheaper alternative if you are a diy'r, http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape, or purchase a set already built up. I have use two of them on glass carboys and a plastic barrel with a ronco controller, just have to use a power bar on the heat side to make it work. They have worked very well for me, good luck.
David.

2013-12-23_10-42-54_187.jpg
It is hard to see but the heat tape is attached to the lower back of the barrel.

2013-12-23_10-43-55_788.jpg
This is the controller set up.:mug:

Nope, doesnt work. Thanks though. I found someone saying that it isnt settable as of yet. When the next firmware update comes out, I hear it will be. :)

Try a long press once you're in the clock setup screen.
I'm guessing that will enable the wheel to change the time...

Cheers!

That looks great! I ended up buying a small ceramic heater for like $15. Since I have the ability to control both heat and cold with the ohmbrew, it seems like it will work quite well. Thanks David!

Lelais, I use a heat wrap that i bought from more beer, but here is a cheaper alternative if you are a diy'r, http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape, or purchase a set already built up. I have use two of them on glass carboys and a plastic barrel with a ronco controller, just have to use a power bar on the heat side to make it work. They have worked very well for me, good luck.
David.

View attachment 272790
It is hard to see but the heat tape is attached to the lower back of the barrel.

View attachment 272791
This is the controller set up.:mug:

Just want to update this thread as to keep others from making the mistake of purchasing this as I did.

Not sure about the earlier versions of this product, but I bought mine in 2016. It worked fine for about a few months... then just shut off one night and almost ruined a batch of beer...

though it was no big deal, unplugged it, plugged it back in.. booted right back up and started working again....

few month later, same thing.. just turned off. Although this time, when I unplugged it and plugged it back in... it jus t sticks on the splash screen. Where the logo pops up, and then nothing.

Downloaded the new firm ware, tried to update it, but nothing.. reached out twice via email and once via phone, and nothing from Caleb or ohmbrew ( its been months now).

Its a shame, if the customer service was in place, this is a good idea.. I'm at the point now where this is probably a total loss if I don't hear back from Caleb, which I don't think I will.

Right now its a $160 paper weight. Stay away until they fix some things with their business.

Just want to update this thread as to keep others from making the mistake of purchasing this as I did.

Not sure about the earlier versions of this product, but I bought mine in 2016. It worked fine for about a few months... then just shut off one night and almost ruined a batch of beer...

though it was no big deal, unplugged it, plugged it back in.. booted right back up and started working again....

few month later, same thing.. just turned off. Although this time, when I unplugged it and plugged it back in... it jus t sticks on the splash screen. Where the logo pops up, and then nothing.

Downloaded the new firm ware, tried to update it, but nothing.. reached out twice via email and once via phone, and nothing from Caleb or ohmbrew ( its been months now).

Its a shame, if the customer service was in place, this is a good idea.. I'm at the point now where this is probably a total loss if I don't hear back from Caleb, which I don't think I will.

Right now its a $160 paper weight. Stay away until they fix some things with their business.

Its a lessons learned with all this entry level technology int he home brew space. Countless threads with these fancy toys and the companies going out of business shortly after usually from bad leadership and/or too many equipment failures and warranty repairs.

Its a lessons learned with all this entry level technology int he home brew space. Countless threads with these fancy toys and the companies going out of business shortly after usually from bad leadership and/or too many equipment failures and warranty repairs.

Exactly. Never even thought about the possibility of a company not being there, which obviously I should have.

I look at it as I took a $160 class on how not to buy crap until its proven and viable business.

Back