Pricing on EJ Beverage Beer and Gas Line Complete Coversion Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbusbrewery

Reaction score
So Eldon James is coming out with a "revolutionary" PVC free tubing conversion kit for home draft setups. Unlike your basic Lowes/Home Depot vinyl tubing, it's supposed to impart zero off flavors and also be anti-microbial. I saw an ad in BYO or Zymurgy a little while back about it and signed up for the newsletter. Anyway, yesterday I got an email saying they'd be available soon and that I was entitled to 40% off since I signed up for the newsletter. I can't find anything about their targeted price for these kits. Sounds like they were at NHC this year so I was hoping someone may have heard the planned price. Since I got a 40% off coupon, it makes me think this stuff is going to be expensive. Anyone heard any rumors? Here's a link to their site if you want to read more about it or sign up for the newsletter, http://www.eldonjames.com/homebrewtubing.html

flexelene has been available for a long time 3/16"id-5/16"od is about $1.25 a foot.

us plastics or Coleparmer direct. no need to pay more or wait.

That definitely sounds like the same thing but there's got to be some differences...maybe wall thickness, flexibility, transparency? The wall thickness of Flexelene seems pretty thin based on what I'm seeing online (1/32 and 1/16). Another site indicates it's the most flexible tubing they sell, so perhaps Flexelene is too flexible for draft purposes (maybe has a tendency to kink). Anyone ever tried it that can provide feedback? Also, I'm not seeing much info re PSI rating.

Great to see the discussion. You both are correct. The Flexelene FXAG is PVC Free and antimicoribial; however the new tubing, "Brew Silver", is constructed specifically for draught systems (this is the one that has been testing at New Belgium). You are correct. It is more clear and more flexible than Flexelene (Flexelene antimicrobial is blue) and is more like PVC in feel and appearance. It will be available in the conversion kits and by the foot through home brew shops and online retailers. The full kit (coiled antimicrobial beer line, coiled gas line, clamps and a free sample of cleaner), will retail for $39.95 and $24.95 for the single tubing option. If you have signed up online through www.homebrewtubing.com, you will get 40% off of that directly from the manufacturer once it launches.

EJBrewMan said:
Great to see the discussion. You both are correct. The Flexelene FXAG is PVC Free and antimicoribial; however the new tubing, "Brew Silver", is constructed specifically for draught systems (this is the one that has been testing at New Belgium). You are correct. It is more clear and more flexible than Flexelene (Flexelene antimicrobial is blue) and is more like PVC in feel and appearance. It will be available in the conversion kits and by the foot through home brew shops and online retailers. The full kit (coiled antimicrobial beer line, coiled gas line, clamps and a free sample of cleaner), will retail for $39.95 and $24.95 for the single tubing option. If you have signed up online through www.homebrewtubing.com, you will get 40% off of that directly from the manufacturer once it launches.

Awesome, thanks for the clarifications! I don't suppose there's a tentative launch date yet, is there?

I know this thread is old, but it looks like EJ Beverage was at the craft brewer's conference a couple weeks ago and the ad for this product popped up in the new Zymurgy issue. There was a press release for it that mentioned morebeer.com, but from what I've heard from morebeer they haven't heard anything about this product. Here is an excerpt from the press release. "It is anticipated that 2014 will be a big year for EJ Beverage. Beginning in April, the beverage line will be available through online retailers, with More Flavor (morebeer.com) as the first to launch this innovative line of tubing and connectors." Has anyone heard anything about when this will be available, and from where?

I got a notice about an introductory price of 29.99 for the kit, which is 40% off the regular retail price for a kit. The kit consisted of one 7 foot beverage line, one 5 foot gas line (both 3/16") and four clamps.

I have five taps so $150 is way too steep to try to justify to SWMBO. Not to mention, based on my temp and psi, I normally use lines closer to 10 feet long to avoid foaming. So I plan to proceed with my current method which is to clean and sanitize after kicking a keg and replacing them as needed.

They did provide a link in the email but it doesn't appear to be working right now as I got an error message saying it couldn't find that item, but here it is: http://tubingandfittings.eldonjames.com/item/fitting-kits/fitting-kits-2/budlc-kit?

Morebeer.com is selling various sizes and two types (PVC free and antimicrobial, as well as pvc free without the silver antimicrobial lining). I just ordered some "ultra barrier silver" and it should be here Wednesday. The reason I wanted to try it is due to plastic flavors I'm getting from my normal vinyl tubing. I'll report back to let you know if this stuff is worth the money. I only have two lines, but I also use 10' per line, so it can be pricey, but hopefully it is worth it. The antimicrobial 3/16" ID line is $1.69/foot.

Anyone else have info on this line?? I'm looking at replacing the lines in my kegerator and wondering if it is worth the extra costs.

I have installed this line on my commercial setup and the plastic taste that I was dealing with before is gone completely! I am dealing with one issue though, there seems to be quite a bit more foaming with this line. I am getting large pockets of co2 that I was not getting before. I have a question about it to EJBrewman, I will report back if I hear anything about this. Overall, the tubing seems to work fine. It is a frosty clear color, not quite as clear as pvc, but you can still see the beer, bubbles, etc. It is pretty flexible and fit onto the hose barbs just like pvc (I did dip the ends in hot water to soften it.) So far I am happy with the product and think it is worth the extra money to get rid if the awful plastic taste. Hopefully I can figure out the foaming issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did get a reply from EJBrewman and he mentioned that they noticed some nucleation within the tubing when the system is warm or the beer is carbed too high. The foaming that I was getting improved greatly once the tubing cooled down to the fridge temp. I am still getting a small pocket of bubbles right at the peak of the line, but it isn't enough that it stops me from pouring a good pint. Overall I'm very happy with the product and would definitely recommend it to anyone trying to get rid of the plastic taste associated with PVC.

dbbal22, what length are you using per line? Wondering if it provides around the same resistance as your typical vinyl lines.

I don't see any difference in the resistance from what I was used to with normal vinyl lines. I haven't done any real testing though, it just seems to pour at the same rate. I currently have 11' of the PVC-free tubing on there. I know that's a lot, but I typically use 10' lines. I am around 7,000ft above sea level, and this length allows me to keep my psi up between 12-13psi and slow down the pour enough that I minimize foaming when the beer hits the glass.

dbbal22, what length are you using per line? Wondering if it provides around the same resistance as your typical vinyl lines.

" 5/16" line provides .40 lbs of restriction per foot. Ideally pounds of resistance should equal pounds of applied pressure." vs .5 for normal beer line.

" 5/16" line provides .40 lbs of restriction per foot. Ideally pounds of resistance should equal pounds of applied pressure." vs .5 for normal beer line.

Morebeer has the same information on both the vinyl tubing, as well as the PVC free tubing. I'm guessing they just copy/pasted the info from the vinyl tubing page. 2.2lbs/ft for 3/16" ID.

Just installed 10 feet of this line onto a keg, and it seems like there isn't as much resistance as with a vinyl line. Beer was flying out at 12 psi. I had to throw in a mixer stick to slow it down a bit.

I've been using 20 feet of the accuflex bev-seal ultra barrier for a while with some mixer sticks to slow the pour down. There great for not leaching any flavors into the beer, but can be clumsy to work with do to the rigidness.

I'm about to update my original draft lines, which came with my tower kit – 5' vinyl 3/16" bev line.

I'm confused. First, I was gonna go 10' of the same line, then I started reading about Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra Barrier @ 20' and semi rigid and was sold, now I'm seeing this Ultra Barrier™ by EJ that's with high flexibility.

Sounds like I need ~20' of the EJ Ultra Barrier, like the Accuflex, and it might be the better way to go?

What would you do?

I have 35' of the EJ arriving today for my two taps. Not sure how much line I should install for each tap.

Josh at keg connection said the resistance is the same as with vinyl line, and that you shouldn't use more than 10', but then there's some people here saying otherwise.

What to do?!? Maybe install long, and adjust from there ...

i'm going to install the EJ Ultra Barrier tonight like this: 20' on one tap and 15' on the other tap so I'll be able to compare. if it's too slow, i'll chop it down to size. i've got a saison ready to go at 3.5 volumes, and this handy calculator says i'll need 20' to serve at 24 psi: http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

i've got a blonde ale at 2.6 volumes and i'll try the 15' line with that and see what happens. will report back!

i'm going to install the EJ Ultra Barrier tonight like this: 20' on one tap and 15' on the other tap so I'll be able to compare. if it's too slow, i'll chop it down to size. i've got a saison ready to go at 3.5 volumes, and this handy calculator says i'll need 20' to serve at 24 psi: http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

i've got a blonde ale at 2.6 volumes and i'll try the 15' line with that and see what happens. will report back!

I know this is an old thread, but you should have had plenty of time to test out those lines! What's the verdict?

They're good. The 20' is a little long for most standard ales, a slower pour with less foaming. I'd say 10–15' is ideal, unless you want to serve at high pressure consistently.

They're good. The 20' is a little long for most standard ales, a slower pour with less foaming. I'd say 10–15' is ideal, unless you want to serve at high pressure consistently.

I agree. I went with 10 feet and it works pretty good for ales at 12-14 psi and 42 degrees. The only thing I don't like is that mine got stained after leaving beer in it for a few weeks. A long PBW soak didn't even touch it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Back