American Pale Ale Mosaic Pale Ale - BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US05
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Tasting Notes
Pure Goodness. Tropical Fruit...almost a blueberry note in there
This thing is just plain good, and keeps getting better. A very sessionable, highly drinkable pale ale. I kegged this right around the 3 week mark, and it has gotten better each day sitting in the keg. This may be my new house pale. It's nice and simple with minimal hop additions while still achieving great flavor and aroma.

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (72.7%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (18.2%)
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (4.5%)
0.25 lb - Flaked Wheat (4.5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, Use: First Wort (AA 8.7, IBU: 17.27)
0.25 oz - Mosaic for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 12.3, IBU: 10)
0.5 oz - Centennial for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 8.7, IBU: 5.69)
0.25 oz - Mosaic for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 12.3, IBU: 4.02)
0.5 oz - Mosaic for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 12.3, IBU: 4.02)

Mashed full volume BIAB fo 4 gallons at 153F for 60min. Pulled bag out, "sparged" with another gallon and away we went for the boil. Added FWH the min i pulled out the bag.

Fermented with Safale 05 at 68F for the 2 weeks, then let it free rise to about 72F to finish out. May try American Ale II with the next batch to accentuate the fruit in this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a 3 gallon recipe BTW

It's nice to see more people doing 3 gallon batches. My method improved tremendously after switching to 3 gallon batches. I did a full boil, used less extract, and had better yeast pitching rates without having to bother with a starter. On top of all that, there is less to bottle, and you get to move on to new recipes quicker.

The recipe looks simple and great BTW. There is beauty in simplicity.

Switched this up Wed night. 1/2 oz addtions for each, same schedule just upped the amounts. Should be quite tasty.

Nice and simple - love the 3 gallon batch. Haven't tried mosaic yet and thinking of brewing this one sort of on a whim. :mug:

*Edit - just a question - I'm pretty new to FWHopping and I noticed you don't have a 60 min bittering addition. Any thoughts on doing one? Is your bitterness from FWH alone sufficient? Based on your IBU numbers I guess it all works out.

I've used FWH as my only bittering addition all the time. Works out just fine, to me its a more mellowed bitterness

Back