First Blonde Ale...delicious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ertelbrew

Reaction score
Just brewed my first blonde ale AND my first all grain. Kind of winged it, and it turned out great. Here's the recipe...very simple.

9# 2-row
1# Carmel 10

1.5 oz Saaz (60 mins)
1 oz centennial (5 mins)

1tsp Irish moss (15 mins)

White Labs California Ale

Mashed at 154

SG 1.052
FG 1.015

1 week Primary
2 weeks secondary

I was amazed that try 1 was successful but glad :)

I do have a question, if you don't mind. Towards the end of the sparge it started looking likes pale yellow. Is that normal? I haven't seen this in past posts before. Like I said, this was my first all grain venture. Thanks

I love Centennial. This looks like a very drinkable Summer ale.

The "one week primary" surprises me a bit, but sounds like it turned out okay.

Thx Tiber. Yes...fly sparge. That's what I assumed but wanted to make a note for future reference.

Mass...I love Centennial. Regarding primary, I take it from the perspective of where I'm at with fermentation. I like to be nearly down to FG but not quite. It's just something I've found to help clear. For normal alcohol beers like this one, I've found a week is fairly common. Again, this is my first jump into all grain. So, that may change things a bit, but extract brewing I've gotten in that rhythm.

Might I suggest a slightly modified hop schedule than what you have there? The blonde ale I have on tap currently was hopped this way:

centennial 60
.25 oz centennial 15
.25 oz saaz 15

Your 60 min centennial will be your bittering charge, but let the two hops share a role in the flavor and aroma. They go well together. I let the malt do some talking with styles like this, too. That's why I keep the flavoring additions fairly low, but it'll still be on the palate.

Just my two cents. :mug:

Back