Efficiency(sp)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
Ok - I just read a thread by someone asking about efficiency.....again. I'm not a super experienced brewer (2 years in) and I've never really been too concerned with efficiency. I pull a recipe off the internet that gives an estimated OG. I assume they figure around 70%?? I'm usually at or a little above that on my readings so it's all good, I'm happy with that. I also see a ton of people asking "why am I getting XX efficiency? what am I doing wrong?" My thought is always...you aren't doing anything wrong, you need a finer crush. I know my efficiency jumped when I switched LHBS without changing anything else, so I am convinced that is the number one thing to check if you are questioning it. I think I have read that PH also has a little to do with it but I have never checked or been concerned with that (feel free to bash me on that, I have big shoulders). My point?.....or maybe it is a question. Why is everyone concerned about efficiency? Do you make good beer...or beer you enjoy? Is it that important to save $2 on grain per batch? I enjoy what I brew.... I hold my mash temperatures within a degree, the crush I get at my LHBS is what it is and I think it is pretty decent. So what gives? Brew your beer, raise your pint and enjoy it!!
Thoughts and opinions.....GO!!! :mug:

When I grab that recipe off the net I want to know my efficiency compared to what the recipe was designed for. If the originator had a 60% brewhouse efficiency and mine is typically 85% I need to recalculate the amount of grains to match the outcome. If I didn't adjust the grains, I get a totally different beer.

Back