Extract Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybox

Reaction score
I've got an all grain berliner weisse (kinderweisse) that I need to bottle, and I was thinking about reusing the yeast cake (originally pitched with Wyeast's berliner blend) to get another one going. I also have some WLP644 I need/want to use soon, so I need to save some time somewhere.

Since I'm not sure how well reusing the yeast from Wyeast's berliner is going to work, I thought I'd cut corners there and try an Extract BW. I am thinking about the following recipe:

5lbs Munton Wheat Dry Extract (approximately 55% wheat, 45% pils)
0.4oz Hallertauer (4.80%)
4oz Malto-dextrine (my first BW is a little light on body)

I'm planning on doing a simple 15 minute boil, cooling, and pitching onto the trub leftover from bottling my current BW. I'm wondering whether I should cool all the way down to 70 for the sach or if I should start at a higher temperature to give the lacto a chance to perform, or maybe even add it to the trub at 120 and pitch more sach a couple days later.

(Maybe this should go in recipes, but I thought this forum would have better feedback due to the special nature of the recipe)

If you get Zymurgy, check out the NHC issue from a few months ago. The recipe for a gold medal-winning BW is in their. It's extract and stupid easy (from the looks of it). I guess you just need to give it plenty of time to mature.

Here's what I did.

Wyeast 5335 at 90f for about 2 days. Pitch Wyeast 1007 and ferment for about 3 weeks.

Bottle.

Split batch and bottle half as is. Add wlp644 at bottling to the other half.

I'll know in 3-6 months if it turns out. You could reuse your yeast cake I bet. But the ratio won't be the same.

It's probably very similar to the 5335 1007 thing I mentioned. Maybe brett b. I doubt brett l.

I suspect the cake will have so much sacc in it that the Lacto will not get a chance to start. It can take up to 60 hours for the Lacto to get going, by which time the Sacc will be just about done. Once there is alcohol in there, + the hops, and the Lacto is going to struggle. Will certainly take a long time to sour, if it ever does.

I suspect the cake will have so much sacc in it that the Lacto will not get a chance to start. It can take up to 60 hours for the Lacto to get going, by which time the Sacc will be just about done. Once there is alcohol in there, + the hops, and the Lacto is going to struggle. Will certainly take a long time to sour, if it ever does.
Not what I wanted to hear, but it makes sense. I may just do it anyway, and leave it in the corner for awhile to see what happens. I suspect it will end up tasting like beer.

Back