Started my first attempt at a lager.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonrk

Reaction score
I went with a recipe from the LHBS. I also decided to do all grain BIAB. I hit the numbers so we will see how this turns out. It is supposed to be a Bohemian Pilsner.

One thing I need to invest in is a plate chiller. I was using an immersion chiller and even with the colder temperatures that took forever. My lawn is well watered though. Well, at least one spot is. :mug:

yea counterflow or plate chillers are awesome! Probably the best brewing equipment I bought. I usually get it chilled in about 5-10 mins with my march pump pushing it.

I have been using an immersion chiller for at least 8 years and can cool a batch in no more than 15 minutes. I know that counter-flows can cool quicker, but they can plug that much sooner too.

I think that the IC that I have is probably a little too small for the pot that I have. I have upgraded to a larger brew pot since I first bought it.

Does plugging tend to be a big issue with the counterflow chillers or is it not too bad if you are careful about cleaning after each time.

What temp can you get your wort too avidhomebrewer and how big is your IC?

Thanks.

I think that the IC that I have is probably a little too small for the pot that I have. I have upgraded to a larger brew pot since I first bought it.

Does plugging tend to be a big issue with the counterflow chillers or is it not too bad if you are careful about cleaning after each time.

What temp can you get your wort too avidhomebrewer and how big is your IC?

Thanks.

My CFC has plugged once, with whole leaf hops. Of course, my March pump got plugged too because the bazooka screen had come off, and the entire line/ball valve was completely full of leaf hops. :D Otherwise, no, they don't plug ever.

I have been thinking of making a counteflow... However I don't use any screen or strainer, my pellet hops just go right into the kettle and then a bunch go into the fermentor whan I drain the kettle. I assume with a CFC I will have to start straining the gunk out?......or maybe a hop spider?

I have been thinking of making a counteflow... However I don't use any screen or strainer, my pellet hops just go right into the kettle and then a bunch go into the fermentor whan I drain the kettle. I assume with a CFC I will have to start straining the gunk out?......or maybe a hop spider?

Pellet hops don't seem to clog the CFC at all. But I swear that one leaf hop will plug up my pump (not the CFC though) so I use a bazooka screen if I have a ton of leaf hops but I normally just let the pellets go free (unless I'm using that aforementioned bazooka screen as pellets will clog that!). What I mean is, if I'm using only pellet hops, I don't do anything and just let the pellets loose. They end up in the fermenter, or at least lots of them do, and that's no problem. But if I'm using a bazooka screen because I'm also using leaf hops, then I bag the pellets because the pellets plug up that screen. I hope that makes sense!

Of course, you can use bags or a hops spider. But it's not necessary. If you're using gravity, maybe it would make the wort thicker to not strain out the pellet hops, and that might be an issue. But with using a pump, I've never had any issues with pellet hops clogging up anything- not my ballvalve, not my pumps, not the CFC.

Make a pre-chiller for the IC. I gutted the coil of a frig that died on us. I set the coil in a plastic tub and cover the old coil with ice and water. I can drop the temp down to 70 in about 7 minutes or less.

I just bought a plate chiller, i'm excited to use it, wondering if it will still work good with a gravity feed vs a pump. We'll see !! happy brewing.

I would be interested to hear how it goes. I can't decide if I should go with a plate chiller or with something like the chillzilla.

Back