Did I get some dead yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judasbot

Reaction score
So, last night I made a yeast starter for today, .6L of water, 2.5 oz. of DME, and a pack of Safale US-05. Let the stir plate run all night and this morning I have a murky solution that seems to have no activity whatsoever. Should I start over with a new pack of yeast or should I pitch what I have?

FYI, if using dry yeast like US-05 you don't typically make starters. There's already plenty of yeast to do the job.

It's a fairly high gravity beer and Beersmith is suggesting 2 pkgs. of yeast if no starter, so I figured I'd spin it in the stir plate.

I typically use liquid yeast and I'm used to a little activity while in the starter. I see no movement in this.

Had a pack of S-04 2 weeks ago that never took off. Had to add some washed yeast I had to get it going.:mad:
Don't know if they had some sort of issue or not, but I've never had dry yeast fail on me.

What’s the date? This is the first I’ve heard of name-brand dry yeast failing.

I recommend taking another pack and hydrating into 100mL of warm water. Don’t stir it for at least 15 minutes. You should see foam within an hour.

The hydrate or not debate will never end, but this is a point for hydration, you proof the yeast. Personally I add 1.040 starter wort and double the volume every few hours. It takes off like a rocket.

Back