ranco help...please don't get mad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
first time poster here.
i purchased a ranco over a year ago and am getting around to wiring it up. however, after have some problems understanding things i'm here for some real basic help.
can someone tell me if the ranco 211000 is a dual stage controller. i found a site that is selling them and gives model numbers. however, when i purchased the one i have in my hands, i bought it thinking it was a single stage controller. i purchased it new from a HBS for pretty cheap and i think i might have received a dual stage one on accident. there are connectors on both sides (stage 1 and stage 2). i've asked the question on another forum but it's gone unanswered and this site seems to have a bit more activity. thanks for the help and im sorry for the obvious questions-b.

First of all, welcome to HBT! :mug:

I want you to feel like you can ask questions here- so never a need to apologize for asking questions. I can't answer your question, so I'll defer to the experts on that. I just wanted to say "Welcome!"

The Ranco ETC-211000 is identical to the Ranco ETC-111000 except that this unit is 2 stage, and has 2 relays to control both heating and cooling at the same time.

thank you....i'm just tired of people jumping to the ever so helpful answer, "use the search function of the website". you never know how you'll upset by the questions you ask. i think i like this forum from the limited time i've spent on it so far. oh yeah....i don't like using capital letters, please don't knock me for it. i type faster this way.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. I have 2 of the 2 stage units in my basement now!! That's all I could find at my local Grainger.

so is it safe to say that i'm sitting on a two-stage controller, given the model number and two connection?

I think you can still use the 2-stage in place of a single stage controller though. If you only need it to control a cooling cycle, for example, simply leave the second stage vacant. Of course I could be very, very wrong on this as I've never used a Ranco controller before.

actually wiring it up for both cooling and heating would be ideal...that is if it's a dual stage controller. i guess at this point that's all i'm trying to figure out. what to do with it and how to wire will follow that. thanks-b

I have that very same controller. I bought mine from MoreBeer pre-wired with outlets attached : http://morebeer.com/view_product/16664/102282 . Unfortunately, I can't help you with HOW to wire it. I can tell you that you need to wire it so you can use both stages, not just one. You will definitely want to use it in the future.

thank for all the imput to everyone that posted. at this point i'm going to assume that i have a dual stage controller. wish my camera still took decent photo so that i could take a few and post them for clarification but based on what i've been reading and the pictures i've seen, i'm assuming it is. thank you again. i have some wiring diagrams to look for now-b.

Shouldn't be hard to wire. If you don't know how to safely wire/insulate your circuit.....get someone who does, or don't do it! :)

Okay...so I found it a little bit more difficult finding dual stage diagram. Does anyone have a link, picture or anything else that would help me get this working? And no I don't have a manual. It wasn't included in the box when I purchased it. I called and had them ship me one a couple of weeks later but they send me a single stage manual. Hense my confusion in the beginning of this thread. Thanks-b.

nduetime said:
Okay...so I found it a little bit more difficult finding dual stage diagram. Does anyone have a link, picture or anything else that would help me get this working? And no I don't have a manual. It wasn't included in the box when I purchased it. I called and had them ship me one a couple of weeks later but they send me a single stage manual. Hense my confusion in the beginning of this thread. Thanks-b.
Here is a scan of the manual. The wiring diagram is in the back. It is pretty similar to the one-stage method, but in this case you will need one and a half extension cords (i.e., one half to feed the power into the controller, and two halves (with plugs) going out).
http://www.dry-air.com/pdf/ranco control.pdf

Just a head's up for all you guy's using a Ranco controller. You need to be very careful if you are using the relay in the ranco to power your refrigerator. The contactor is rated just under 10A @ 120V. If you are running the main power to your refrigerator directly through the Ranco (depending on the size of the refrigerator), the inrush amps may be too much for the contacts to handle. You should check your owners manual or look for a sticker on the unit that states the full load amps, usually abbriviated FLA. Most small 4-5 cubic foot refrigerators should be fine but the larger full size units like 19-21+ cubic feet could be a problem. Just be safe when dealing with electrical controls.

Back