tap-a-draft vs party pig you choose??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
So Sometimes it get tiresome bottling. I don't exactly have the required space for a kegging system at the moment but would like to have something that I can "keg" and put in my refrigerator. I have looked at both of these systems and been somewhat leaning towards the tap a draft that Northern Brewer sells. Anyone else have either of these at home that could give me some input on these?:mug:

I made a TAD system complete(see pic) with 3 taps that carbed and dispensed through a 20 oz paintball tank and kegconnection regulator. I ended up collecting 17 TAD/coors lite bottles to use(if anyone in the bay area of CA wants them msg me). The system worked great, but I bit the bullet and upgraded to the keezer.

Given the cost of the TAD system and the bottles, caps, tanks, regulator, and accessories I highly recommend just going with the corny kegging system and freezer. It is what you will end up with in the end, and is far superior. I now have a keezer with 2 perlick taps and 10 kegs.

DSC01906.jpg

I have the party pig. I like it and I'm trying to figure out a way to use it to make more cask-like ale. The downside is that it's considerably larger than those Coors/Miller keg things so I don't get to use it very much due to how much fridge space it normally takes. It wasn't a problem when I lived alone but my wife and I keep too much food (and bottled beer) in the fridge to also fit the pig.

I have the TAD, and I also rigged up a system to use paintball CO2 tanks. It's a good system, but I did end up transitioning to full legging pretty quickly. I plan to still use it for test batches that I might not drink quickly or are smaller volume.

It does take up more room in your fridge than you might think, but it is definitely a more efficient process than bottling. The caps that come on the TAD are a bit thin and flimsy. I did get some more heavy duty caps with a good gasket so I could naturally carbonate in the TAD bottles.

I have a party pig. I only used it once, but I wasn't impressed. I basically was looking for something to fill off a keg to bring to parties. If the new Draftmark could be hacked, that would be ideal for me so I could bring a variety of beers to parties. As it is now, I fill a bunch of 22 oz bottles, and it's a PITA.

I'm not sure of the volume that Tap-a-Draft holds, but I would go with that over a party pig any day.

I have used the tap a draft for almost a year. I love it. I don't have the space for a keezer, and I really don't go through enough beer to justify it. Plus, you can buy a styrofoam cooler and cut out a hole for the tap and you have a portable system for cheap. Great for tailgating.

sounds cool Jgarner. Love all the input here guys. What is the paintball tank?

still dont know what to get, but have been leaning towards the party pig seems pretty easy. Anyone ever use those 5liter kegs?

Given the cost of the TAD system and the bottles, caps, tanks, regulator, and accessories I highly recommend just going with the corny kegging system and freezer. It is what you will end up with in the end, and is far superior.

Everyone says that, but it's just not true. Maybe there's not a huge difference in price between a TAD and the most basic kegging system, but there are a lot of costs to a full kegging system well beyond that $185 starter kit.

You can get a TAD for what, 60 bucks? You aren't going to be able to get everything you need to effectively keg for anywhere remotely close to that.

I had the TAD back before my full kegging system. I liked it pretty well. I can't even explain my level of giddiness the first time I poured a beer off of that thing!

The TAD is not the final solution. You will want to move up eventually. However, the TAD is a nice stop on the road to full kegging. Plus, you could still use it for various things once you get a full kegging system.

I've got a party pig & am very pleased with it. It holds a case of beer, cutting bottling in half. Very easy to use & dispense. & relatively cheap, got mine new for $50.

I know that the CO2 cartridges are available almost everywhere. What about the supplies needed to pressurize the party pig?

The pig pressure pouch is easily found online either thru party pig or northern brewer or other places.

The party pig probably makes more sense if you plan on using it infrequently or you don't go through beer very quickly because the pouches can be kind of pricey but they are designed to hold pressure for 1-2 months. The pouches are almost $5. If you go through beer more quickly it probably makes sense to go with the TAD system.

He also said something about the 5L mini kegs. I have no experience with them but would also like to hear some input. This may be perfect for the op if he can get one of the little fridge/servers. I see the little kuerge? Despensers on Craigslist all the time for like 50 bucks and the op wouldn't be taking up lots of room in the fridge. Chopps

Yeah so the TAD is carbonated from those small CO2 cartridges?? Or do you still use a small amount of priming sugar...this is what I am confused about. I do here that the TAD leaks a bit as well. Both systems look good. I have heard of the 5 liter mini kegs, but dont see as many people using them though they look very interesting.

I even saw a mini keg dispenser that could be used with home brew from Avanti on amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004J67SHO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

looks cool but i probably wouldn't buy the dispenser.

My thing is I don't have the space for the kegging system at the moment. There is no way that my wife would allow it at the moment. The joys of living in an apartment.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh an the other thing. Has anyone ever used No2 Cartridges for a stout in a tap a draft?

You can use it, although I never have done a nitro stout in mine. It takes about 3 TAD bottles per 5 gallon batch and I always seem to have a little beer left over. I have a total of six TAD bottles and it works very well for storage and dispensing beer. I usually force carb the first bottle and naturally carb the rest.

I also managed to find 2 of the coors/miller TAD bottles but I haven't taken the time to mod the taps yet, but I will. It's an effective little portable system and it's cool as hell to carry it around in the little blue ice carrier designed specifically for it. Bringing it to brew club mettings and parties is fun. My wife also owns a DQ, so we have lots of the 8 gram and 16 gram food grade chargers (bulk from Sysco) to use for it.

The reason I didn't go with the party pig is the cost (and ease of replacement) for the inflatable bags the party pigs use. Food grade CO2 cartridges are more accessible and easily available for me, so I went the TAD route. The mods to retrofit your TAD to a larger CO2 tank are interesting and I might go that route one day. Somebody on Ebay was selling them.

Latest posts

Back