Patersbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killervector

Reaction score
What temp should I ferment at? Not really sure how high to go.. I'm thinking ambient room temp at about 74? Using Wyeast 3787 Trappist. Very simple malt bill. 10 gallons

20 LB Pilsner Malt
Tradition for bittering
Saaz for flavoring

Thanks!

I'd start it out under 70* - 67-68* would be fine - then after fermentation takes off, start letting it warm up by a couple degrees every day.

How did this turnout? I am looking to make this kit for my first AG batch. Its either this or the the Caribbou Slobber from NB. Did you mash at 149?? Anything different have to be done with the boil with Pilsner malts? Thought I read somewhere that they need a longer boil.

On a side note. Brewing TV from Northern Brewer had an episode where they brewed this kit with open fermentation. No lid on top of the bucket for 3 days

I mashed my Patersbier/Enkel at 150* and am fermenting at 74*. Pils malt usually wants a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS. I did:

5 lbs 2-row
2 lbs toasted 2-row
1/2 lb honey

60 minute 1/2 oz Cascade
15 minute 1/2 oz Cascade
Zest of two limes at flameout

Fermenting on top of Ommegang's house yeast

As for open fermentation, there was a study done in German Hefe breweries that found ester production to be much higher with open fermentation, and when the wort was aerated _less_. I can't find the study for the life of me, but leaving the lid off definitely has it's merits. My basement infects every topless bucket with mold, so I need to keep lids on or suffer the wrath.

I mashed my Patersbier/Enkel at 150* and am fermenting at 74*. Pils malt usually wants a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS. I did:

5 lbs 2-row
2 lbs toasted 2-row
1/2 lb honey

60 minute 1/2 oz Cascade
15 minute 1/2 oz Cascade
Zest of two limes at flameout

Fermenting on top of Ommegang's house yeast

As for open fermentation, there was a study done in German Hefe breweries that found ester production to be much higher with open fermentation, and when the wort was aerated _less_. I can't find the study for the life of me, but leaving the lid off definitely has it's merits. My basement infects every topless bucket with mold, so I need to keep lids on or suffer the wrath.

That is a completely different beer. Cascades? Sounds interesting though.

I did NB's patersbier, but accidently used chimay yeast. It was very good. really smooth, a little fruity, not at all boring, like I feared. I'm planning on doing this again this weekend with the correct yeast, which should make it less fruity.

That is a completely different beer. Cascades? Sounds interesting though.

I did NB's patersbier, but accidently used chimay yeast. It was very good. really smooth, a little fruity, not at all boring, like I feared. I'm planning on doing this again this weekend with the correct yeast, which should make it less fruity.

Are you going to use the Trappist yeast that they recommend

nice. can't decide between this and the caribbou slobber for my first AG batch

Choosing a low gravity for your first AG makes things easier that's for sure. My first AG was a 2hearted clone, which did not go great. Drinking a growler of dead guy during the brew did not help though....

Yeah, the 3787 Wyeast. I've never used it before, but heard really good things about in an a can you brew it episode.

It's an excellent yeast. Ferments super fast with the low OG, and floccs out really well during cold conditioning.

photolpu.jpg

Don't mind the dirty glass.

Well....I don't know how it turned out. I haven't had the keg space...lol. its been secondsrying for like 6 weeks. It looks really clear. I tried some when I checked the gravity and it was very nice. Im planning to keg in the next week or so. Ill keep you all posted. Btw the fg was like 1.014 if I recall correctly.

I've got a batch of the extract kit patersbier from NB going right now in my primary. Yeast is going crazy!! Brewed Tuesday afternoon... had to put the blow off tube on Wednesday afternoon!

I used the default wyeast 3787 trappist HG

photooov.jpg

I just bottled this up. I ended up having a great first AG experience with this brew. OG was 1.050 and FG 1.008. Nice and dry.

Back