Trying to Raise a Missed Mash Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Missed my mash temp by 3 degrees about 10 minutes ago. One of my Golden rules is that you CAN NOT Raise a missed Mash temp, only lower one that's to high. Well, what did I do? I cracked the lid, losing all that generated heat from the steam in my Mash Tun and added 3/4's of a gallon of 180 degree water. Result, I LOST a degree of Mash Tun Temp. :mad: Yet Again, another Stupid Brewing trick. Damnit!!! Looks lik my Nierra Sevada will be Maltier then I wantd it to be. :(

Because I brew outside, I often raise my mash temp with boiling water (especially when it's freezing outside....). During the summer I don't crack the lid but during the winter I have to check half way through. You'll thin out your mash a little but you need to add boiling water. Never had a promblem.

Since missing low slows enzyme activity down, you have some time to fix it. Draw off about 1 gallon from the tun and put it on your burner to heat to near boiling then stir it back into the mash.

Back