First All Grain Batch, Found a Good Aeration Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglewwit

Reaction score
Thought I would share this since it worked quite well.

I used a 15 gallon mash/lauter tun. I have a small place and used it on my gas stove, it covers two burners.

Started with about 11 gallons of water. When done mashing and sparging I drained the wort via a hose from the pot to two buckets. Then I cleaned the pot and removed the false bottom to use it as a kettle. From the buckets I drained the wort back into the kettle via hose to reduce oxidation. After the reduction boil and 90 minute brew I had about 6 gallons. I cooled it and moved it to the counter, heavy but doable (about 80 pounds). Then I set a bucket on the floor and opened the spigot and let the wort fall into the bucket. It splashed around and by the time it was filled had a good foamy head on it. Then to aerate more I poured it vigorously into the fermenter, I use a 7.5 gallon SS conical, so it makes it easy to pour. All in all it went quite well.

Thanks to all here, reading the posts helped me a lot in my planning an successful first all grain brew day. By the way it took all day.

Recipe: IPA

14 Pounds of grain
7.5 Gallons of mash water
3.5 Gallons of sparge water

Yielded 9 gallons of wort with a BG of 1.050

Boiled for 120 minutes to reduce and 90 minute brew boil Yielded about 6 gallons of 1.080 wort. I added 2.5 pounds of corn sugar to the boil at T-15

15 gallon brew pot? SS conical? All grain 1.08 beer? First brew?

...woah. Congrats!

First AG brew, I have done about 6 extracts.

I just did a lot of reading, "How To Brew", and this forum along with good planning.

Back