Critique my 1st recipe - American red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
6lbs Breiss Pils extract
15 oz Crystal 60L

60 mins 1.00 Centennial
15 mins 0.5 Cascade
5 mins 0.5 Cascade

Hops are pellets and I will be using American Ale yeast. 5 gallon batch

Please let me know what you think! Is it boring? Should I add some biscuit malt?

Thanks!

I have not tried it yet, I have the malt extract. I ordered and am waiting for the grains from Austin and the hops from hopsdirect. I plan to start a nice pipeline when it all gets here. My new years resolution is not to buy commercial beer (at home of course) and brew all my beer that I drink at home. This excludes an occasional commercial belgian beer that I may treat myself to. I have created 3 recipes for myself to try. This is the first, the second will be an APA, and the third a Robust Porter. I will then modify the APA to be a "CDA". I am looking forward to that CDA!

I hope the keg I am drinking now will last me til the American red is brewed and drinkable! Otherwise, I will be stuck drinking hard liquor til it is ready!

I'm not sure that's a red ale and not just a pale. Looks nice, though. Simple isn't bad.

My pale recipe has a lot more hops. I havent tasted it yet but I dont think the amount of hops in there will overpower at all. I think it will be maltier than it is hoppy

Ya, this really falls more into pale ale guidelines.

You end up with 43 IBU, so if your pale has more, you are probably looking more like IPA. America Pale is 30-45 IBU. American IPA is 40-75 IBU.

Color on this is around 8.8 SRM. Right in line for a pale, a little light for an amber, and really light for a red. If you are using any beer software (I use BeerSmith), make sure your color settings on each grain/extract are correct for what you are using. In BeerSmith, my Pilsen DME comes set to 3.0 SRM, but Breiss Pilsen DME is actually 2.0.

If you don't have BeerSmith or similar, I'd suggest you get it. BeerSmith has a 21 day trial.

*Disclaimer* This post not sponsored by or affiliated with BeerSmith in any way, shape, or form.

I brewed AHS's American Red and it starts w/ Munich LME and adds Munich malt and 2-row (minimash), as well as CaraMunich and Special B. Very good beer, but it depends on whether you care about style.

So the first version of the recipe tasted great but yes, it was more of a Pale Ale. This was not exactly what I was going for, so I am trying again although I will brew the first version again. What I did was lower the amt of 60L by 4oz, add some biscuit and change the hop schedule. Anyone have any tips or ideas? Will this still have a hoppy character? I am going for malty rather than hoppy. Planning to brew this guy tomorrow.

5 lb 8 oz Briess Pilsen Light DME
1 lb 4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8 oz Biscuit Malt

60 mins 0.5 Centennial pellet 9.1
15 mins 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.4
15 mins 0.25 Centennial pellet 9.1
5 mins 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.4

I would hold all of the late hop additions until the last 1-2 minutes of the boil. I've found that 10-15 minute additions add quite a bit of bitterness.

Also, I'd say you could go with Briess Golden Light dme for a little richer malt character, unless you have bought pilsener dme in bulk. You might think of going with 1.25 lb of 40-60L caramel and .25 lb of 120L caramel for a hint of redness.

Should I cut the hops down or just move it all to the last minute or 2 of the boil? I will probably cut out the second portion of Centennial

I bought the pilsen in bulk and dont think I have any 120L on hand. Maybe I will try that one next time.

Should I cut the hops down or just move it all to the last minute or 2 of the boil?

It really depends on what you want out of your brew. I am in Michigan and my favorite red/amber ale is Bell's Amber, which is a balanced brew, possibly toward the malt side of the equation. From what I understand, red/amber ales on the west coast tend to have a bigger hop presence. In my mind, an amber ale that is balanced toward hops rather than malt is encroaching on pale ale territory, so I brew my amber to be more malty/less hoppy than my pale ale so there is more of a distinction. I don't know where your preference lies.

Here's the specs on my...

Amber:

(I finish my boil with 6gal in the kettle and 5.5gal in the fermenter)

1.5lb Caramel Malts (.5lb each of 20L, 40L, and 60L)
7lb Briess Golden Light DME
60 mins - 14g (.5oz) Columbus @ 14.2%AA
10 mins - Whirlfoc tablet
Flameout - 28g (1oz) Ahtanum @ 5.2%AA

OG: 1.054
TG: 1.013
Color: 12.41 SRM
IBU's: 26.3
Alcohol: 5.31%

Pale:

1.25lb Caramel Malts (.25lb each of 20L, 40L, 80L, and 120L)
7lb Briess Golden Light DME
60 mins - 20g (.71oz) Columbus @ 14.2%AA
10 mins - Whirlfoc tablet
Flameout - 56g (2oz) Ahtanum @ 5.2%AA
Dry Hop - 56g (2oz) Ahtanum @ 5.2%AA

OG: 1.052
TG: 1.013
Color: 12.7 SRM
IBU's: 37.6
Alcohol: 5.11%

The amber comes out with a balanced flavor and caramel in the nose, but make the pale has a nice firm bitterness and really hits you in the face with hop aroma from the extra flamout/dryhop quantities!

The pils is all that North Country Malt had in stock at the time I ordered.

Northern Brewer has some pretty good prices on DME in quantity; if you don't mind shopping online or are near St. Paul, Minnesota or Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I've been considering buying DME in bulk for a while now (I don't know why I haven't!) but, I will probably do it through my LHBS to support the local business.

Also, +1 on the light DME and steeping specialty malts for character and color. That's what I do, too. I feel it mimics what all-grain and pro brewers do with base malts and specialty malts. 99% of my recipes are based on Pilsen or Golden Light DME and either none or some combination of specialty malts to impart some kind of malt character or color I'm trying to achieve. :mug:

What kind of amber are you shooting for on this? If you are going for the west coast style of hoppy red you could try something like this:

7lbs Light DME
1lb 60L Crystal
.5lb 120L Crystal
2oz Chocolate Malt

1oz Centennial 60min
1oz Centennial 15min
1oz Cascade 10min
1oz Cascade @ flameout

1 package Safeale US-05

If you aren't doing a full boil you should really consider doing a late extract addition. Start the boil with 3lbs of DME and with 15 minutes left turn off the heat and stir in the rest. Doing this helps to prevent caramelization and increases hop extraction.

7lbs Light DME
1lb 60L Crystal
.5lb 120L Crystal
2oz Chocolate Malt

1oz Centennial 60min
1oz Centennial 15min
1oz Cascade 10min
1oz Cascade @ flameout

See, now that to me sounds like a pale ale recipe. Granted, a delicious beer, but not an amber ale here in Michigan.

If it was an all grain recipe I probably would've used Munich malt as a base malt making it much maltier. As an extract beer there really isn't a good substitute for it unless you can get Munich LME. Amber DME never ferments out fully and leaves beers too sweet for my palate.

You are correct in that it isn't too far removed from a pale ale but that is the way the west coast style is. They make their beers dry and hoppy out there. Check out Green Flash Hop Head Red to see what I mean. There is usually a touch more crystal malt character and a touch of biscuit or roast character but really it is just a darker vehicle to use as a hop delivery machine.

You are correct in that it isn't too far removed from a pale ale but that is the way the west coast style is. They make their beers dry and hoppy out there. Check out Green Flash Hop Head Red to see what I mean. There is usually a touch more crystal malt character and a touch of biscuit or roast character but really it is just a darker vehicle to use as a hop delivery machine.

...and that's fine. I just want there to be more of distinction between my own amber and pale recipes. Besides, as I stated, here in Michigan, regionally brewed ambers are not as hoppy as pales, so that's what our palates are accustomed to. In the end, style guidelines don't matter a bit if you (and hopefully others, too!) enjoy what you've made. :tank:

From the BJCP website:

PALE ALE
Aroma: Usually moderate to strong hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is very common, but not required. Low to moderate maltiness supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). Fruity esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.
Appearance: Pale golden to deep amber. Moderately large white to off-white head with good retention. Generally quite clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.
Flavor: Usually a moderate to high hop flavor, often showing a citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may be used). Low to moderately high clean malt character supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). The balance is typically towards the late hops and bitterness, but the malt presence can be substantial. Caramel flavors are usually restrained or absent. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Moderate to high hop bitterness with a medium to dry finish. Hop flavor and bitterness often lingers into the finish. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates.
Overall Impression: Refreshing and hoppy, yet with sufficient supporting malt.
Comments: There is some overlap in color between American pale ale and American amber ale. The American pale ale will generally be cleaner, have a less caramelly malt profile, less body, and often more finishing hops.

Amber Ale
Aroma: Low to moderate hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is common, but not required. Moderately low to moderately high maltiness balances and sometimes masks the hop presentation, and usually shows a moderate caramel character. Esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl.
Appearance: Amber to coppery brown in color. Moderately large off-white head with good retention. Generally quite clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.
Flavor: Moderate to high hop flavor from American hop varieties, which often but not always has a citrusy quality. Malt flavors are moderate to strong, and usually show an initial malty sweetness followed by a moderate caramel flavor (and sometimes other character malts in lesser amounts). Malt and hop bitterness are usually balanced and mutually supportive. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Caramel sweetness and hop flavor/bitterness can linger somewhat into the medium to full finish. No diacetyl.
Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth.
Overall Impression: Like an American pale ale with more body, more caramel richness, and a balance more towards malt than hops (although hop rates can be significant).
Comments: Can overlap in color with American pale ales. However, American amber ales differ from American pale ales not only by being usually darker in color, but also by having more caramel flavor, more body, and usually being balanced more evenly between malt and bitterness. Should not have a strong chocolate or roast character that might suggest an American brown ale (although small amounts are OK).

I am, however, of the school that rules were made to be broken.:rockin:

Hm, the west coast amber sounds similar to my original recipe. I wound up brewing the recipe before the messages came in but there are definitely some good tips for the next time if this is too hoppy. I love hops, I just wanted to distinguish my amber from my pale.

I don't understand why so much stuff is in the recipe. I wouldn't
add hops at 15min because you get too much hop flavor and
you don't want that (I think). It's also too dark for a red.

How about
.5 lb crystal 60
1 oz roasted barley
no biscuit

.65 oz centennial 9.1 for 60 min
.5 oz cascade for 5 min

SRM should be about 12.
Ray

Back