Nottingham Yeast.. Rehydration Required??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I just made a brews best kit that included Nottingham yeast, and followed the instruction and simply pitched the yeast into the wort as the instructions stated... After doing so I read the yeast instructions (OK a little late)... It said NOT to pitch the yeast directly into the wort..

Does anyone have an idea if this is a problem??:confused::confused:

Wouldn't worry. Many of us pitch Nottingham that way (I do it every time I use Notty) with no issues.

Thanks for the info.. I was hoping that this would not be a problem, but I have noticed threads talking about nottingham being slow (or something along those lines).. Reading these I had concerns about not following the instructions

Quick Question..
About how long before you noticed activity?? I am using a bucket (vs carboy) and I can not see what is happening (after 12 hrs).. I am use to seeing some activity with other yeasts within the first 8hrs or so...

I have the fermenter in a swamp cooler bath at 64*.. So I am thinking this might also be contributing to the lack of activity (starting) as well.

Quick Question..
About how long before you noticed activity?? I am using a bucket (vs carboy) and I can not see what is happening (after 12 hrs).. I am use to seeing some activity with other yeasts within the first 8hrs or so...

I have the fermenter in a swamp cooler bath at 64*.. So I am thinking this might also be contributing to the lack of activity (starting) as well.

Nottingham is slower. I think it will start up around 12 hours and give you some nice krausen around 36 hours. Is it bubbling yet? Don't panic until after 48+ hours. The temp is cool, so you are correct in your assumption. My hour estimates above are based on 69 (a randomly chosen number) degrees.

I run about 50% on rehydrating, I intend to hydrate but usually have a few HBs down by then and forget to do it and just toss the sanitized packet into the wort without rehydrating. my last 2 batches of Notty have fermented like mad, I snagged up fifteen packets of that lot number just in case its a production fluke.

I run about 50% on rehydrating, I intend to hydrate but usually have a few HBs down by then and forget to do it and just toss the sanitized packet into the wort without rehydrating. my last 2 batches of Notty have fermented like mad, I snagged up fifteen packets of that lot number just in case its a production fluke.

50% attenuation?

Nottingham is slower. I think it will start up around 12 hours and give you some nice krausen around 36 hours. Is it bubbling yet? Don't panic until after 48+ hours. The temp is cool, so you are correct in your assumption. My hour estimates above are based on 69 (a randomly chosen number) degrees.

I pitched hydrated notty Wednesday night around 6pm in a 1.092 beer with wort at 70 deg. Room temp was 66 deg. By Thursday morning at 8 am blow off container was like a boat motor was in it and krausen was 1" plus room temp at 66 deg. carbouy at 70 deg. Friday it was blow off overflow with krausen in the blow off container. As of today the krausen is falling back into the wort and still bubbling away. Notty is a great yeast.
Cheers:mug:

24+hrs..
airlock is bubbling like crazy.. I removed the the blowoff tube as the somehow the seal was not 100% tight and the room was smelling like beer (wonderful beer).. The airlock is super tight and hence bubble magic..:)

I am thinking that by tomorrow this will be blowing through the airlock if all goes as others have stated about Nottingham..

Also the low temp (constant 64*) is hopefully going to make for a super cleam golden ale..

Back