AG setup in PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's down near York, PA, so any of you Marylanders could certainly drive up and pick it up.

I put a bid in, although still below reserve. :/

I'll be on my way back down through that area Friday afternoon (auction ends Thanksgiving evening).

Anyone in Maryland want to split this? I dont think I need it all (just started my 2nd batch of extract, but want to move to AG in the next 6 months), but if someone from the Baltimore area wants to do this, I'll pick it up on my way back down to MD friday.

lost my post..darnit

anywho, what do you AG guys think a setup like this is worth? It's at $250+ and not at his 'reserve' price. I've put in a bid for $325 which also seems to be lower than the minimum reserve.

I'm not planning on raising my bid any time soon, but what would be a decent deal for all this? I'm beginning to think this guy is selling his used equip at new retail cost.

This is what made me lose faith in ebay many moons ago. It used to be a place to get a deal, now it's a place where everyone wants to tack 10% OVER retail PLUS shipping for each piece of junk they have. I hate ebay...

I have no idea what it is worth. I'd be hard pressed to pay any more than your $325 bid too. I'm sure someone will tell us something about retail value.

When i priced them out, what I would pay for a used peice of equipment, i total at $390. I'll list to make it easier:

Boil kettle-50
Keg-25
7 gallon kettle- 30
Counter flow chiller-75
10 gallon cooler-35
5 gallon cooler -20
15-gallon “mash tun”-5
2-6 gallon carboys- 30
2-5 gallon carboys- 30
3- 5 gallon cornys- 60

The kettles are the big things in this system, the chiller is nice too. The 15 gallon mash tun i wouldn't use unless trying to make a barley wine where i would need alot of room but I don't think it would hold temps well. You still would need some sort of heat source for the kettles, and a regulator and co2 tank.

I think your used prices are even kinda high. All that stuff is going to need a good cleaning and you may not even need all of it.

7 gallon kettle? I bought a 7.5g stainless from Walmart for $30 NEW.
Who knows what's stuck inside that counterflow. You can build the same for about $75-80.
You can buy freshly reconditioned corny's for about $15 each.

Since he's looking for a local pickup, I expected it to end at about $200. Maybe I'd pay $300ish if he also had a tank/regulator or if it included burners/LP tank.

Bobby_M said:
You can buy freshly reconditioned corny's for about $15 each.

Wish I had known that, I just paid $16 for unreconditioned cornies that were just cleaned and filled with CO2. Wish I knew I could have picked them up for less with the outsides done and new seals. Care to share your source? Never know when you'll need more!

jezter6 said:
This is what made me lose faith in ebay many moons ago. It used to be a place to get a deal, now it's a place where everyone wants to tack 10% OVER retail PLUS shipping for each piece of junk they have. I hate ebay...

I know what you mean. There's a guy selling 5 or 6 carboys who says local pickup only. He has a low starting bid for them but then he is tacking on $10 handling changes:mad: WTF is up with that??? All they are, are extras sitting around, you have to pick them up, where's the handling?

Welcome to the club. :)

I'm all about getting a deal. I understand people want to get as much out of their items as possible, but this is not a storefront, this is used equipment sold out of a garage. IE: Garage Sale.

I also don't want to cheat someone either, specially not a fellow homebrewer (although by getting rid of all that equipment, I guess this person is no longer brewing...).

I wish I could find the link. I had it bookmarked at work and just had HD failure last week. It was a guy blowing out a ton of them and they were marked down to 15, though I could be blowing smoke because it's been a month or so since I bookmarked and maybe they weren't reconditioned. I'll keep looking.

Well, auction over, and long story short, I picked up everything in that auction for a cool $337.69 (my roommate's way of trying to screw over even price bidders).

Am I happy: YES! The guy was really cool even though it didn't go for his minimum reserve, still offered to let me take it at my bid, which was awesome. Apparently they're buying a 12bbl system for the new barn. Shweeeeet!

Everything looks good (as advertised), if not a bit old and used. Hopefully I can just do some heavy duty cleaning and have everything looking good and new for my first AG boil!!!

All told I got 3 brewpots (7g, 14g, 15.5g) two of which have ball valves, 4 carboys w/ stoppers and locks, a carboy carrier, a counterflow chiller, 2 mash/lauter coolers, 3 cornies, and what appears to be a spent grain 'waste' bucket. He even threw in a couple of grain bags he had with the equipment.

Like I said. I'm a happy new brewer. 2nd batch is done bubbling and being moved to secondary tomorrow. Might even start extract batch 3 (I still have 2 extract kits I purchased, so I can't go AG till those are gone and I learn a little more about it) tomorow morning.

Congrats, jezter! Perhaps you could ease into AG with a couple of partial mashes. Use your kit ingredients, but substitute a bit of extract with 2-row and specialty grains appropriate for the style.

HBT members are usually pretty good at helping with recipe formulation if you're stuck or need help with formulas/conversions.

Congrats, glad to see my post led to a happy new owner. If he was just a little bit closer he'd probably have made a good mentor to help you into AG too. Now, if only I could find a similar deal out in my area.

I'm joining a local club in December, hopefully I will obtain a mentor there. If there's anyone from the North Baltimore area that sees this and wants to help in exchange for some brews, feel free to contact me!

Latest posts

Back