Brewing Notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
Anyone have any blank brewers notes a guy could make copies of. I realize it works fine to just use notebook paper or something but I was thinking just for the "coolness" factor it would be fun to have some more "official" notes.:) Just the template (blank form) would work, or any link to a website which may have something like this. I could get some from work but decided it would be interesting to see what others have and use. Obviously I'm bored:D

I've seen some around years ago. I've been using Beersmith for my brewing needs and it does a good job for me. It has a Notes area. Just used it for the first time last night. It can print out a ""brewsheet" with instructions and information on your brew which you can use to brew by, or save for your own future reference.

I highly recommend Beersmith for nearly all brewing needs. You can try it out for a while and see how you like it.

If you prefer to do it manually (some do), try a search for brewing log or similar in Google. The first page gave me THIS page with a downloadable Word document.

Damn, you guys are faster than me...

Brewer's Lair

Check out the brewhouse section. They have some pretty great worksheets that I use for my batches.

I tried my hand at their trivia question and I would like to refute the results. The question was which two beers combined make up a Black and Tan?

The only answer that seemed to fit best to me was; A Black Beer and a Tan Beer.

The "correct" answer was; A Porter and an Amber Lager

I've always been told that a classic BAT was Guinness and Bass. Since Guinness is a Stout, and Bass is an Ale, I don't see how their answer is correct, even if you admit that a Stout is a type of Porter (hasn't been for a long time).

I apologize now for taking this thread off topic.

I had heard of black and tan as Yuengling porter and lager. I think from a few other threads here that any named mixed beer cocktail will have 37 variations, all of them 'the real version.'

As for hand writing stuff, I had been using my program (BeerAlchemy) but my friend uses one of the programs for general stuff and then keeps records in a graph paper notebook... I do love hand writing things. Maybe I'll have to look into this.

There's also the Basic Brewing logbook (which I wouldn't use enough of in a year), and one that I can't find now that you could get spiral bound or not.

When I first started I used a spiral notebook, but I'd like something with a stiffer cover I think*. I'm sure I can find a good one in an Office Max or something.

(* that's what she said)

Every time I write stuff down on paper, I end up spilling beer on it.

For now, I print out my recipe using Beer smith, mark up any deviations or speical occurances and then re-enter that in the computer after I'm done.

The Moleskines are nice if you like hand writing your notes. I use a pocket Moleskine for daily note taking. For brewing notes I picked up like a 5"x9" or so "journal" with a leather cover. It's a little more flexible and is very rustic looking. I just browsed the journal section in barnes and noble to find something.

Obviously not as cheap as using software or just a 3 dollar notepad, but I figure if I keep at this hobby for a while it will probably be something I'll want to keep forever and possibly even pass down at some point. So, having a good sturdy notebook could be a good option.

I need to start taking better notes. I use BeerSmith and log my gravities and set my Mash time and everything, but I need to take some detailed notes.

I have been keeping my stuff in Brew Pal on my iPhone. It didn't have a general notes section before for each recipe, but that has been corrected in the latest version.

It is particularly handy since I can just bring up the recipe on my phone when I got to the LHBS to figure out what I need to get.

+1 on the leather bound notebook. Might be a family heirloom some day. You can get a decent one for under 10 bucks.

I offer a free site to track recipes, take notes, and get reminders when its time to do something. Not anywhere near as complex as BeerSmith or Promash. Just a free spot to take notes online :) Feel free to use it if you're still looking for a good note taking solution.

I use BeerSmith, now, but for a long time I simply kept a log of the brew day in an open text file. I still do that, actually, in addition to the BeerSmith records, and reserve the BeerSmith notes section for tasting comments, notes about the ingredients list, and so forth. My most recent brew day notes are below, and the BeerSmith report is in an attachment if anyone cares to look. I'm not always this careful with my notes, but I try to keep detailed records of the events the whole way through.

Oh, and I print the ingredients list on my labels, too, along with brewing and bottling dates. Those seem to be what the others at the local hombrewers' group seem to ask about most often, and I can't always remember the details of a given batch.

Peccavi India Pale Ale
----------------------
5 gal. filtered water
1 tbsp pH 5.2 stabilizer
1 Whirlfloc tablet
9 lbs. Maris Otter malt
1 lb. Cara-Hell Malt
1 lb. 10L Caramel Malt
8 oz. Aromatic Malt
8 oz. Biscuit Malt
8 oz. Victory Malt
Wyeast Thames Valley Ale yeast (1275)

1 oz Kent Goldings leaf hops, FWH
2 oz Kent Goldings hop pellets, 60 min. boil
2 oz Kent Goldings leaf hops, dry hopped in secondary

Equipment:
1 large (30 qt.) pot
1 medium (20 qt) pot
1 small (16qt) pot
1 10 gal. cooler lauter tun with mesh false bottom
1 6.5 fermenting bucket
1 5 gal. fermenting carboy
1 2 pint pyrex measuring cup
1 1 Quart pyrex measuring cup
2 thermometers (one glass, one bimetal - both go about 4 degrees F too high)
1 hydrometer
1 12oz. Spray bottle with StarSan solution.
1 copper counter-flow wort chiller

2013-02-16
----------
0830 - Cleaned brewing area.
0900 - Cleaned mash/lauter tun.
0930 - Filled 5 gal. and 3 gal. boilers with filtered water. Added 1 tbsp. pH stabilizer to 5 gal.,
and another 2 tsp. to the smaller boiler.
0950 - Began heating 5 gal. mash water.
1000 - Filled 8 gal. boiler with 4 gal. of sparge water, adding 1 tbsp. of pH stabilizer.
1010 - Began heating 3 gal. mash water.
1050 - Reached strike temp. of 170°F. Began adding water and grain to mash tun. Stirred mash
to reduce clumping.
1100 - Mash reached 154°F, began mashing time.
1115 - Moved 4gal. sparge water to 5 gal. boiler.
1120 - Added 6.25 qts. filtered water to the small boiler, with 1 tsp. pH stabilizer, for mash-out.
Began heating mash-out water to boiling, covered.
1125 - Began heating sparge water to 168°F.
1130 - Checked temp. (154°F), and stirred mash.
1200 - Completed mashing. Added boiling water from small boiler for mash-out. Started yeast smack-pack.
1220 - Mash-out complete (it went unusually long because of a break for lunch). Began vorlauf.
1235 - Began sparge.
1250 - Finished filling large boiler, added first wort hops in a hop bag. Put on low heat to
maintain tmp. of 158°F.
1255 - Sparge completed (a bit fast, unfortunately, I need to be more careful about it).
There is about 2.5 gallons of additional wort in the small boiler. Began heating small boiler for boil.
Composted grain and cleaned lauter tun.

NB: The extra water comes from a misreading of the instructions given by BeerSmith. It gave a
total mash water amount of 6.27 gal., but this was to be split between the actual mash water and the
mash-out water. This means that I added 6.25 qts. - roughly 2.5 gallons - extra water. This will have
to be taken into account in future brewing sessions.

1300 - Turned large boiler up to full heat.
1315 - Moved hop bag to small boiler. Took gravity sample from large boiler.
1330 - Small boiler begins boiling. Moved hop bag back to large boiler.
1430 - Moved 2.5 qts wort from smaller boiler to larger. Removed 1 pint of wort from large
boiler, covered, to cool for additional yeast starter.
1450 - Large boiler reaches boiling.
1500 - Took gravity reading from chilled wort sample (1.044 at 50°F, adjusting to 1.043).
1515 - Sterilized thermometer. Checked temp. of yeast starter cup (120°F, still too high to
pitch the yeast).
1525 - Moved 3 qt. from small boiler to larger boiler.
1600 - Moved remainder of contents of smaller boiler into larger boiler. Removed FWH hop bag. Threw hop
leaves into compost and cleaned hop bag. Cleaned small boiler.
1605 - Pitched yeast into pint Pyrex container and re-sealed, spraying StarSan solution on exposed areas.
1735 - Wort is now at tthe 28 qt. level in the large boiler; pitched bittering hops and set timer for 50
minutes.
1745 - Ran PBW solution through wort chiller and into fermenter.
1825 - Added Whirlfloc to wort and stirred. Emptied fermenter, then ran StarSan solution through wort
chiller into fermenter.
1830 - Poured ice into wort chiller bucket and filled with cold water.
1835 - Wort now at around 26 qts (oops - mis-timed the end of the boil!). Ran wort through chiller into
medium boiler, giving it a temp of 130°F. Ran wort through again from med. Boiler to fermenter.
Temp. now 85°F. Took sample for gravity test.
1845 - Cleanup.
1900 - Original Gravity @ 68°F is 1.060. This is 0.007 short of the intended gravity. Total
volume is almost exactly 5 gallons.

2013-02-20
----------
1400 - Cleaned and sanitized secondary fermenter.
1430 - Transferred wort to secondary, adding the dry hops by hand partway through the transfer.

2013-02-21
----------
1500 - Stirred hop leaves into wort with sanitized paddle. Primary FG, 1.017.

2013-03-06
----------
1300 - Cleaned and sanitized bottles.
1430 - Racked beer to bottling bucket.
1500 - Bottled.

View attachment Peccavi IPA BS report.pdf

I use BeerSmith, now, but for a long time I simply kept a log of the brew day in an open text file. I still do that, actually, in addition to the BeerSmith records, and reserve the BeerSmith notes section for tasting comments, notes about the ingredients list, and so forth. My most recent brew day notes are below, and the BeerSmith report is in an attachment if anyone cares to look. I'm not always this careful with my notes, but I try to keep detailed records of the events the whole way through.

Oh, and I print the ingredients list on my labels, too, along with brewing and bottling dates. Those seem to be what the others at the local hombrewers' group seem to ask about most often, and I can't always remember the details of a given batch.

Peccavi India Pale Ale
----------------------
5 gal. filtered water
1 tbsp pH 5.2 stabilizer
1 Whirlfloc tablet
9 lbs. Maris Otter malt
1 lb. Cara-Hell Malt
1 lb. 10L Caramel Malt
8 oz. Aromatic Malt
8 oz. Biscuit Malt
8 oz. Victory Malt
Wyeast Thames Valley Ale yeast (1275)

1 oz Kent Goldings leaf hops, FWH
2 oz Kent Goldings hop pellets, 60 min. boil
2 oz Kent Goldings leaf hops, dry hopped in secondary

Equipment:
1 large (30 qt.) pot
1 medium (20 qt) pot
1 small (16qt) pot
1 10 gal. cooler lauter tun with mesh false bottom
1 6.5 fermenting bucket
1 5 gal. fermenting carboy
1 2 pint pyrex measuring cup
1 1 Quart pyrex measuring cup
2 thermometers (one glass, one bimetal - both go about 4 degrees F too high)
1 hydrometer
1 12oz. Spray bottle with StarSan solution.
1 copper counter-flow wort chiller

2013-02-16
----------
0830 - Cleaned brewing area.
0900 - Cleaned mash/lauter tun.
0930 - Filled 5 gal. and 3 gal. boilers with filtered water. Added 1 tbsp. pH stabilizer to 5 gal.,
and another 2 tsp. to the smaller boiler.
0950 - Began heating 5 gal. mash water.
1000 - Filled 8 gal. boiler with 4 gal. of sparge water, adding 1 tbsp. of pH stabilizer.
1010 - Began heating 3 gal. mash water.
1050 - Reached strike temp. of 170°F. Began adding water and grain to mash tun. Stirred mash
to reduce clumping.
1100 - Mash reached 154°F, began mashing time.
1115 - Moved 4gal. sparge water to 5 gal. boiler.
1120 - Added 6.25 qts. filtered water to the small boiler, with 1 tsp. pH stabilizer, for mash-out.
Began heating mash-out water to boiling, covered.
1125 - Began heating sparge water to 168°F.
1130 - Checked temp. (154°F), and stirred mash.
1200 - Completed mashing. Added boiling water from small boiler for mash-out. Started yeast smack-pack.
1220 - Mash-out complete (it went unusually long because of a break for lunch). Began vorlauf.
1235 - Began sparge.
1250 - Finished filling large boiler, added first wort hops in a hop bag. Put on low heat to
maintain tmp. of 158°F.
1255 - Sparge completed (a bit fast, unfortunately, I need to be more careful about it).
There is about 2.5 gallons of additional wort in the small boiler. Began heating small boiler for boil.
Composted grain and cleaned lauter tun.

NB: The extra water comes from a misreading of the instructions given by BeerSmith. It gave a
total mash water amount of 6.27 gal., but this was to be split between the actual mash water and the
mash-out water. This means that I added 6.25 qts. - roughly 2.5 gallons - extra water. This will have
to be taken into account in future brewing sessions.

1300 - Turned large boiler up to full heat.
1315 - Moved hop bag to small boiler. Took gravity sample from large boiler.
1330 - Small boiler begins boiling. Moved hop bag back to large boiler.
1430 - Moved 2.5 qts wort from smaller boiler to larger. Removed 1 pint of wort from large
boiler, covered, to cool for additional yeast starter.
1450 - Large boiler reaches boiling.
1500 - Took gravity reading from chilled wort sample (1.044 at 50°F, adjusting to 1.043).
1515 - Sterilized thermometer. Checked temp. of yeast starter cup (120°F, still too high to
pitch the yeast).
1525 - Moved 3 qt. from small boiler to larger boiler.
1600 - Moved remainder of contents of smaller boiler into larger boiler. Removed FWH hop bag. Threw hop
leaves into compost and cleaned hop bag. Cleaned small boiler.
1605 - Pitched yeast into pint Pyrex container and re-sealed, spraying StarSan solution on exposed areas.
1735 - Wort is now at tthe 28 qt. level in the large boiler; pitched bittering hops and set timer for 50
minutes.
1745 - Ran PBW solution through wort chiller and into fermenter.
1825 - Added Whirlfloc to wort and stirred. Emptied fermenter, then ran StarSan solution through wort
chiller into fermenter.
1830 - Poured ice into wort chiller bucket and filled with cold water.
1835 - Wort now at around 26 qts (oops - mis-timed the end of the boil!). Ran wort through chiller into
medium boiler, giving it a temp of 130°F. Ran wort through again from med. Boiler to fermenter.
Temp. now 85°F. Took sample for gravity test.
1845 - Cleanup.
1900 - Original Gravity @ 68°F is 1.060. This is 0.007 short of the intended gravity. Total
volume is almost exactly 5 gallons.

2013-02-20
----------
1400 - Cleaned and sanitized secondary fermenter.
1430 - Transferred wort to secondary, adding the dry hops by hand partway through the transfer.

2013-02-21
----------
1500 - Stirred hop leaves into wort with sanitized paddle. Primary FG, 1.017.

2013-03-06
----------
1300 - Cleaned and sanitized bottles.
1430 - Racked beer to bottling bucket.
1500 - Bottled.

Holy crap! :eek:

Currently I print out the brew sheet from BS2 and write notes in the margins. I think I'm going to move to the German sheets for the binder I keep the brew sheets in, though... looks much more professional, though I may end up just making my own.

I also keep a blog of each brew day (as of mid-2012).
http://whitewoodbrewery.us

I use the brewers friend calculator online to make sure I'm in style range or just to know if I'm a bit to heavy on hops or other variables.
I like to have a physical copy of my recipes and notes just for a piece of mind. Never know when the CPU will take a dump and you lose everything.
I have always been a fan of taking notes and I like stickers so I put the two together and came out with something a little like this.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398535815.670386.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1398535832.307228.jpg

Latest posts

Back