AG, the Maiden Voyage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the midst of my first all-grain brewday, embarked upon so as to lessen the ridicule thrown my way. :D

Mash and sparge on EdWort's Bee Cave Kolsch are done. Boil must wait until I take my assisant, the cooperative 4 yo Paige, to daycare at 1 p.m. Question here: should I leave the wort uncovered or will covering it produce DMS?

It has been both a frustrating and exhilirating experience, which is really the point, right? It took me a good 15 minutes to stabilize my mash temp. I needed a couple more quarts of cold water than intended, resulting in a thin mash. But I got my mash temp to 152. Target was 151. Good enough.

Double batch sparge went well. Nailed my target pre-boil volume of 7 gallons. Unfortunately, I came in a little off on pre-boil gravity. Was targeting 1.042, got 1.036. Live and learn.

So far, I have learned I need to figure out my equipment and that having two burners is almost required when you're not near the kitchen.

Anyway, so far, so decent, I guess. I might post pics later, I might not. Who knows.

:mug:

Good luck! I was so nervous my first AG brew day, I had every tiny action I needed to take written down on a list.

I could be wrong (so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will speak up), but I think you drive off DMS as long as you do a good, hard boil. But even if you leave it uncovered, whatever falls in gets boiled and won't hurt your beer anyway.

Have fun! :mug:

What temp did you sparge at? If you're waiting on your boil I hope you sparged about 170 or above to stop enzymatic conversion.

What temp did you sparge at? If you're waiting on your boil I hope you sparged about 170 or above to stop enzymatic conversion.
Beersmith told me to sparge at 168 but I told it to go screw and sparged at 172. :p

I figured on the DMS, just wanted to make absolutely sure.

For batch sparging, I use 180 degree water. Basically, I follow Bobby's process. :eek:
I mostly did, too, except on the sparge water. I sort of split the difference between him and Beersmith.

I entered this hoping I would do well, but also knowing it will be a learning experience. On the plus side, I've read so much about the process that I didn't need, or feel the need, to write a damn thing down. It's burned in my memory. I had a few tips and my Beersmith sheet out but they were rarely checked.

Congrats on growing a pair Shecky, they ought to come in handy. Now maybe your wife will sleep with you again :D

I also brew AG without two burners/pots. Just 1 burner, one Keggle and a cooler mashtun. It'll be nice to get an HLT built someday.

Congrats on the AG batch...

I also used one burner at first. I had to heat the sparge water until just a few minutes before sparging and then dump it into the second cooler so I could regain my BK to drain the MLT into it...

Sheck,
I am SO proud of you.

Hows the boil going? If you want to up the gravity to where it should be, add a few ozs of DME or some honey or something.

OB knocks one out of the park. I was waiting on it.

Sheck is making a Kolsch, not an IIPA or a RIS, or tripple or anything..

What he's brewing is irrelevant.

Seriously.. he brews? Next thing ya know someone is going to tell me that HBHoss and Revvy brew too! :D

:tank:

What he's brewing is irrelevant.

Seriously.. he brews? Next thing ya know someone is going to tell me that HBHoss and Revvy brew too! :D

:tank:

Looks like it to me....

DSCN2820.jpg

And I hear Hoss may be openning a brewpub/tasting room....

So maybe you better duck..:D

flyingpigs.jpg

Sheck, I told you to check with NWS for the rH.

Add some water back, it will not hurt, I do it all the time.

Seriously, low rH here, I sparge 8 gallons, high rH, i may only sparge 6 gallons.

Done. Just put the lid on the fermenter. All told, minus the 2-hour break to dispense my rocking brand of child care, slightly more than 5 hours. I'll post numbers after cleanup if I have time before picking up the kiddies.

Done. Just put the lid on the fermenter. All told, minus the 2-hour break to dispense my rocking brand of child care, slightly more than 5 hours. I'll post numbers after cleanup if I have time before picking up the kiddies.

Congrats there Shecksteropulous. :mug: :rockin:

Well Sheck, I am sitting here with a little tear in the corner of my eye. I am just so dang proud of you right now!
I would also like for you to acknowledge the fact that it was NOT me giving you grief about your lack of brewing history. Oh wait, I guess I just did.... sorry.
Sorry to hear about the purse thing though. I was a little shocked to be honest.

*sniff* I'm sooo proud of you, Sheck. Our Shecky will soon have three testicles and an erection that lasts longer than 4 hours. (Don't forget to contact your doctor)

*sniff* He's.....he's......just not our little boy any more!! :(

Congrats there Shecksteropulous. :mug: :rockin:
Thanks. Appreciate it.
(why do I feel like it's graduation day?)

Well Sheck, I am sitting here with a little tear in the corner of my eye. I am just so dang proud of you right now!
I would also like for you to acknowledge the fact that it was NOT me giving you grief about your lack of brewing history. Oh wait, I guess I just did.... sorry.
Sorry to hear about the purse thing though. I was a little shocked to be honest.
It's a handbag, dammit. I'll forgive you the transgression because you're so, well, old. :p

*sniff* He's.....he's......just not our little boy any more!! :(
If it's all the same to you, I'm going to keep sitting at the kids' table because those are my homeys. :D

OK, numbers. Not sure how to do this but here goes. As I said, 1.036 into boiler for 70.5% efficiency. Post-boil gravity was 1.048 (I added about 5 oz of DME I had sitting around to boost), target was 1.049. That would have been 73.4% efficiency based on target volume of 5.5 gallons, but I lost more than expected to boil off and ended up with 5 gallons. Oh well.
Still checks in at 67.2% efficiency, unless I did something wrong.

I'm pretty happy with that. Most of all, I'm happy that I didn't have to scurry around looking for how to do this and that and when. I had read so much and committed it to memory that it was like second nature. So a hearty thank you to all of you (even those who gave me grief :D). You were invaluable.

:mug:

I'd like to post a few pics but I don't have photobucket or anything and I'm not sure how to upload without attachments. Help there?

Comments, suggestions welcomed. (Sorry for the diatribe, I'm stoked).

Latest posts

Back