Y'all have let me down!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I told my wife we should go buy a good set of matching glasses for the kitchen and only store a few pint glasses on the top shelf, for like going outside, drinking beer, etc. but it hasn't happened yet. We still got Red Wings glasses from when Federov played with Detroit!

Well, I missed Oberon Day again this year! I don't know why I keep forgetting it. I got a text from my BIL on the way home from Mt. Pleasant with a picture of him holding a bottle.

Can't wait to grab a 6-pack and see how it tastes!

Poor Homer...
Wish we had more Breweries here... Austin is starting to get a bunch, which is good, but then you have to drive to Austin... lol

haha. You'll have to set a reminder in your calendar for next year lol. I have to go out and get a 6 pack as well. I always like to grab a 6er and culture the yeast while it's fresh.

Homer, I don't know whats closer to you, Cadillac or Big Rapids, but Meijer has 12 packs of Oberon for $13.50 this week.

Homer, I don't know whats closer to you, Cadillac or Big Rapids, but Meijer has 12 packs of Oberon for $13.50 this week.

Actually Reed City is closest (LOL). I grabbed a 6 after work at the local party store. From the chill chest of course, so I could finish one while cooking dinner and working on the remodeling.

IT WAS AWESOME!

I didn't do a serious sit down and compare with my past experiences. I just took a few big swallows and doubled over in pleasure, tears streaming down my face.

After a tissue clean up I managed to contain myself and take the occasional sip now and then while working.

I have no idea why I like this beer so much. I'm not a big fan of other American Wheat Beers. Maybe it's the hops they use?

I carefully poured so I could save the yeast and then I recapped. After a couple of them get emptied I'll pitch them into some starter wort and get some yeast going for a batch of clone. I've been meaning to brew one for a while.

I'm guessing this is a beer only available in the midwest? Never heard of it til this forum, but I don't get out much... lol

It is distributed pretty widely, but it is harder to find the further you get away from Michigan.

In Michigan and some parts of the midwest we have holidays on the release day. People take off work and text each other pictures of their recent purchases. It's state law, look it up!

I probably know more about Oberon than anybody I know! Larry Bell told me personally that he met Oberon way back in the day and that he told him if he changed the name from Solsun to Oberon, he would sprinkle his beer with fairy dust. I swear to God he did!

I gotta go.

And the Oberon debate arises each time this year...

I'd agree with overhyped (especially on a 25 degree day) but definitely not in short supply. Available by the case in every mega-mart and it seems on every gas station shelf. I'm sure I'll see a pallet of it the next time I'm at Sams or Costco.

I'm not really a fan of it anymore and wheat beers are definitely not my style. Years ago I was crazy about it, to the point of ordering 1/2 barrels and having my own Oberon parties. I really feel like it's changed over the years, that or my tastes have changed.

It was one of the first real craft beers I started getting into while at college when we'd buy it in 22s and it was called "Solsun". So maybe that's why I loved it so much, it was better than red solo cups of Busch Light.

Today the waitress told us the had Oberon on draft and then I saw they still had Hopslam on draft; I helped them try and finish up that Hopslam keg.

I'm not really a fan of it anymore and wheat beers are definitely not my style. Years ago I was crazy about it, to the point of ordering 1/2 barrels and having my own Oberon parties. I really feel like it's changed over the years, that or my tastes have changed.

I kind of feel the same. I never had it before it was called Oberon, but there were a couple years when I didn't drink anything else the whole summer. Then I just got tired of wheat beers and started to explore other styles. Maybe I'll try some when it warms up around here a bit. Who knows, maybe I'll fall back in love with it and try brewing my own version.

Today the waitress told us the had Oberon on draft and then I saw they still had Hopslam on draft; I helped them try and finish up that Hopslam keg.

Where the HELL did they have Hopslam still on tap?? (Mind Blown)

I understand how others can not like Oberon, or have gotten used to it over the years. I get somewhat used to it by the middle of summer, but it's still tasty. I just generally prefer to try new beers after drinking so much Oberon.

I just love it. I can't figure out why. I even like it WITH an orange slice if that's how the waitress brings it to me. That is NOT normal for me!

This 6-pack seems to have a little bit less hop bitterness, but still plenty fruity and it's well balanced. Had another one last night after work when I started in on the bathroom tile. Was going to have a second one, but decided to see how a Blackrocks Grand Rabbits would taste after Oberon.

It was great too!

Sometimes I think people just don't care much for Oberon just because it's so popular. It's like, if it's popular then it's not cool anymore. To me it's like Elvis, or the Beatles (to some extent) They ARE overrated, only because they were SO popular. (Except I think the Beatles only got BETTER over time.)

Oberon definitely varies from year to year... Welcome to craft beer. I used to drink the crap out of it back in the day. I do feel it's kind of one of those gateway beers into craft beer with it's wide appeal. I typically only buy it now A) to harvest yeast from and B) If the rest of the tap list is not appealing at the bar. I always enjoy it, but it's not really my style of choice.

Where the HELL did they have Hopslam still on tap??

"Little Joe's" in Grand Blanc. There are actually a few places around here that still have it on tap and have had it for a while so I assume they've gone through multiple kegs.

Oddly enough, I couldn't find it in stores at all; my local bottle shop only received a single case and was charging crazy prices. Cheaper on tap at a restaurant than in bottles at the store. Weird...

"Little Joe's" in Grand Blanc. There are actually a few places around here that still have it on tap and have had it for a while so I assume they've gone through multiple kegs.

Oddly enough, I couldn't find it in stores at all; my local bottle shop only received a single case and was charging crazy prices. Cheaper on tap at a restaurant than in bottles at the store. Weird...

I've got two bottles at home. One was supposed to go out to a Beer It Forward, but the weather has been so cold this winter I couldn't ship it. Now I'm wondering if I'd be doing a disservice to mail it this old.

The other bottle I've saved for when I was over the cold I had and had a good moment to enjoy it.

But it was gone in like a few weeks around me. Grand Blanc is a bit too far away to drive for a glass on tap, even though I'd love it.

I have to say I tried whitsun this year, and I like it better than Oberon. *ducks head*

Whitsun is ok, but it's not the same. I don't know what it is about Oberon that I like so much. It's like crack. I had another one last night and almost popped a second bottle, but it was getting kind of late and I wanted to go to bed early. I had a half glass of homebrew instead.

All I can think about here at work is what I am going to make to pair with an Oberon. How many Oberons do I have to play WoW tonight after the tile is laid. Will it affect my ability to heal in-game and will my party even care. Will I even care.

Should I go buy an orange and pretend I'm playing WoW and a chain restaurant...

Sorry Homer - I actually thought about this thread Monday morning, but didn't let you know it was time.

The case I just bought seems to be more bitter than in the past. I'm not a fan of really bitter beers, but the Oberon is still quite good.
I brew a clone batch at least once every summer.

Being from Battle Creek, I should like Whitsun better, but I find I'm not a huge fan of most of the Arcadia beers.

Had my last bottle of Hopslam on Sunday, and picked up a sixer of Oberon yesterday. I just happened to be at the store when the guy was setting up the display and he mentioned that, this year, it's available about a month earlier than usual.

Sorry Homer - I actually thought about this thread Monday morning, but didn't let you know it was time.

The case I just bought seems to be more bitter than in the past. I'm not a fan of really bitter beers, but the Oberon is still quite good.
I brew a clone batch at least once every summer.

Being from Battle Creek, I should like Whitsun better, but I find I'm not a huge fan of most of the Arcadia beers.

Odd, sometimes when I have it I think it's a bit too bitter, but not so far on this 6-pack.

And I feel the same way about the Arcadia beers. Most of them are just "alright". Not sure what it is, but I know they have some kind of English fermentation system or something.

The specials I had on tap were pretty good though!

The Red Baron in Burton still has hopslam as well. Bill, the owner, just got his federal permit and is brewing and selling his own beer now as well.

I picked up a sixer this week too. I haven't had it in a couple years and wanted to revisit it. It's better than the last time I had it. Last time it was very phenolic, tasted just like band-aids to me. I actually wrote the brewery about it

Funny I still definitely enjoy a oberon session or two (or 4) over the summer... but never got the hype of hopslam.. with so many good ipa's around nowadays it just doesn't stand out like it used to !

Oberon is one of those beers that you can go out and drink with the Bud, Miller people. Being a holiday in Michigan, it started as a $3 20oz draft. And the Bud, Miller people would drink it. Last year it seemed to go to $4. And it wasn't a great deal but hey it's spring, and the macro people experienced something close to craft. This year it's $4.50 and not worth it. Monday night is Michigan bottle night at the local bar which happens to be a golf night. You can get a wide selection of available Michigan bottles for $2 . I will have less Oberon then normal. But some great MI beers. Might be a good chance to convert the BMC's to MI beer beside Oberon.

Oh, I was also lucky enough to score 5 KBS this year. That stuff is getting to be a challenge to score. I'm not sure I'll even try next year, except for the 2 I'm guaranteed from my local store. At least Oberon will never run out during season.

Oberon is one of those beers that you can go out and drink with the Bud, Miller people. Being a holiday in Michigan, it started as a $3 20oz draft. And the Bud, Miller people would drink it. Last year it seemed to go to $4. And it wasn't a great deal but hey it's spring, and the macro people experienced something close to craft.

So, a popular beer from one of the most respected craft breweries around is only 'close to craft' now?

Just because it isn't an IPA, RIS, Imperial something or another, or limited distribution doesn't mean it is less craft than other craft beer.

Had a couple of guys over to pick up a laptop this past weekend and I asked if they wanted a beer. They said yes, so, knowing them, I brought out my last 2 cans of Blackrocks Grand Rabbits. It's a very light ale with a touch of dry hop. It's darn near budweiser, but there is a noticeable hop presence. I really liked it.

They could choke it down. I'm afraid if I had given them an Oberon they would have spit it all over my floor!

But I bought a 12-pack of it last night. I love it. I had to try hard not to chug it right after the pour. And I've been pretty ho-hum on beer lately.

Back