How long can I cold crash without having to add yeast before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secondratemime

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've never been too concerened with beer clarity, but as a recent convert to BIAB I've been surprised by the amount of crap that gets from the kettle to the fermenter and to the glass. I used Irish Moss for the first time in a batch for xmas, but still ended up taking a lot of sludge into the fermenter. Is it likely that these will settle out as I added the moss, or is that only meant to occur in the boil kettle?

Anyway, here's my real question. I've never cold crashed a beer before, but I want this beer to look nice as it's being given out as gifts. If I stuck it in a fridge for a couple of days before transferring to secondary and again before bottling, will it clear out enough or is it likely to need much longer?

Also, how long can I leave it there before having to worry about adding yeast? I don't want it all to settle out and then have the beer not carbonate, as I'm on a bit of a tight schedule. This is a Belgian dubbel style beer with Wyeast 3787 and while I know darker beers will hide mistakes better than paler ones, I'd rather it was nicely transparent rather than opaque with flotsam.

Thanks

James

you can cold crash for probably 2 months before you might want to think about adding yeast at bottling. if this was my beer, i would only cold crash the secondary. probably for 10-14 days before bottling.

Any more than 6 months and I would consider adding yeast.

The trub will settle out in the primary.

Thanks for the advice. What's the ideal cold crash temperature for a beer like this? I have a temperature controller, but if fridge temperatures are ok then I'll leave out the extra complication. I can rack to secondary tomorrow and whack the whole thing in the fridge for a couple of weeks before bottling if that's how it's done.

James

I typically cold crash in the primary (and skip the secondary altogether) 5-7 days at 35-36*F.

I don't add any yeast if I'm bottling the batch. There's enough remaining to do the job.

Two things you can try (in addition to Irish moss) next batch to reduce the amount of gunk going in to the fermenter - 1) bag the hops, 2) after chilling is done, cover the kettle and let things settle 15-20 min.

if you are concerned with beer clarity, try adding a stainless steel strainer when dropping from the brew kettle to the fermenter. I have always used one and never had clarity problems.

Latest posts

Back