carbonating drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
I've thought about trying some carbonating drops on my next batch, thtey claim to carbonate in a week. Do they realy work that good? will they change the taste? should I use them? thats just some of the questions I have, lol.

They carb in the same amount of time as bulk dextrose. They are convenient but don't expect miracles from tiny amounts of compressed dextrose.

I've used them already and really didn't notice much of a difference between the drops and dextrose. One disadvantage of the drops is you need to make sure you have 1 (for a 12 ounce bottle) or 2 (for a 22) in each bottle; if you forget one, you will have flat beer. It is impossible to forget the dextrose when you make up enough to carbonate the entire batch and mix it in. I did find that they are kinda pricey compared to dextrose. My vote: go with dextrose.

If you use them I would use Muntons because you can better contol your carbonation levels with the smaller tablets versus the one big cooper tablet. All those carbdrops are going to leave a few little floating peices in your finished beer that just won't dissolve.

Back