Smacked the "Smack Pack" a little too hard...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knownikko

Reaction score
So I was getting prepped to brew my second batch later today and pulled the yeast out of the fridge to get it started. Long story short, after a couple failed attempts to break the inner nutrient package, I gave it a really good whack and ended up splashing some yeast all over the counter and my wife. :drunk:

She was less than amused.

So, I'd estimate I lost probably 1/4 of the package contents, maybe less. I poured the rest into a little jar, covered it, and put it back into the fridge.

Should I risk using this in my beer (a Scottish ale), or just go get another packet? The decision would be an easier one if the LHBS was a little bit closer, but it's about 30 minutes away.

Any advice at this point would be welcome.

Thanks

Take it out of the fridge and let it warm up. Should be fine.

Next time, just set the pack in a bowl with the hole on the top.

If you hadn't started brewing yet, make a starter. Even without a stirplate, your yeast culture should increase over 24-48 hours at least to the pitching value of your smack pack, if not more.

haha...that sucks. To bad your wife didn't find it funny :)

Hah. Well, she found it funny in that "dear lord I married a beer-obsessed retard" kind of way. ;)

The rest of the brewing went pretty well yesterday, and this morning I've got a nice foamy carboy bubbling away, so as long as I didn't contaminate the yeast I think we'll call things a success for now.

Thanks for the advice and quick responses.

As for the starter suggestion - that crossed my mind. Can you make a starter with LME? I figured it would work the same as DME, but is just messier to work with...

Yes you can. Just convert DME weights to LME and off you go. Considering the added expense however, DME is easier and probably considerably cheaper.

Back